Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Default What Should I Do Next?

I got the ARB front bumper last week from Slee. Man, it looks good! So, now I need to figure out what's next. I sort of have a working plan:

1. Slee Rear Bumper
2. Slee 4" lift
3. New Tires (BFG ATs?)
4. Winch
5. Drawer System
6. Upgrade Stereo with Nav System
7. Onboard Air
8. Aux Fuel Tank
9. HAM

I sure could use some help making sure I do things in the right order. Thanks!
Attached Images

TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Do you have sliders? That should be next along with the Tcase skid palte and the AC dryer skid plate to attach to the bootom of the arb bumper.

Lift would be next. The Slee 4" lift is a great setup, but that much lift requires lots of extra stuff that I believe Christo includes in his kits. You could start with a 2" OME lift and then do 33" tires. Depends on your finances. If you can afford to go 4", then go for it.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Do the ham radio next. That other stuff could take years, don't put off better communication in the mean time.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would not race off and get the lift next either.

Sliders
skids
Ham
Fridge
295 will fit no lift
winch

did you do the pin 7?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Wow. I'm surprised there's not a consensus for the lift. I can definately see the sliders and the skids. My thought process is/was I need new tires in the next 10,000 miles and I shouldn't buy tires that don't look/feel right after I do the lift. The rear bumper was next because that would be the correct sprung weight for the new geometry of the lift. It's all so dependent on other stuff. Very confusing....
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just open your wallet and let the money fall out. If I had that bumper I'd do winch and recovery gear next. Then sliders, then air,ham, then tires, If you get big enough tires that you need a lift then you will also need to regear. Budget $2500 ro regear if you plan on anything bigger than 33's

There is no "right order to do things in" I sugest you wheel it as is then see what you you feel you don't have, or where you struggle. Lifts and tires will get you more stuck and you'll need a good way to unstick yourself. A bone stock locked 80 can run Golden Spike.
It's your rig, build it how you like but the $2000 spent on a rear bumper could be spent much more wisely in my experience.

Airing tires down is the single best "off-road" upgrade there is and it's free. Then you need a way to air back up.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSROLL View Post
Wow. I'm surprised there's not a consensus for the lift. I can definately see the sliders and the skids. My thought process is/was I need new tires in the next 10,000 miles and I shouldn't buy tires that don't look/feel right after I do the lift. The rear bumper was next because that would be the correct sprung weight for the new geometry of the lift. It's all so dependent on other stuff. Very confusing....
Maybe this will help. This is what happens when you offroad without sliders. Thats real expensive to fix. With sliders, skid plates and no lift you have the front bumper and sliders to protect you.

I got a few dings on my rear bumper, but that gets trashed when you sawp out to a Slee or other rear bumper later.
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 04-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

It would help to know your immediate budget as well as future budget. For me this truck has been a work in progress over the last 3 years. I have everything on your list minus the lift, rear bumper, and drawers. But I do have a gettolicious platform with a fridge slide

Like Farnham said a stock 80 can go many places if its protected. I run Moab trails rated up to a 6 generally. I don't take the easy line over everything either.

I'm at the point now where I need the lift. My stock springs are getting very tired. I probably sit 1-1.5" below stock spring height. Part of it is due to the extra weight on my rig. So the lift is next on my list.

If you need tires soon you can fit 295's with no lift. If your budget is similar to mine then you very well might wear them out before you can afford the lift anyway. Or 295's won't look bad with a 2.5" and a few run them with 4".
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sliders!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Where is your maintaince level at? Have you based lined all the fluids, front and rear axle service, coolant related stuff? If not I would base line all the stuff you can before you spend the money on goodies.