Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Rock Stacker

Default 1989 4x4 truck

I have a 1989 4X4 withe a 22re I think it has a w-56 trans (5 speed )dose anyone know if there are any special tools required to R&R the input shaft bearing and how hard is it. Any input would be awsome. Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Slide hammer with a bearing puller.

I've also seen a trick but never done it. Fill the hole with greese and find a round tube to fit the hole and hammer the round Tube into the hole. The force will force the grease to push the bearing out. A 3/8" socket that fits the holl with a extention in backwords should fill the void nicely
Old 04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
Slide hammer with a bearing puller.

I've also seen a trick but never done it. Fill the hole with greese and find a round tube to fit the hole and hammer the round Tube into the hole. The force will force the grease to push the bearing out. A 3/8" socket that fits the holl with a extention in backwords should fill the void nicely
that'd be for the pilot bearing. he asked about the input shaft bearing. which one do you mean, franktown

input shaft bearing, if it's like a big truck, is on the mainshaft inside the front bearing cover. could try heating the bearing if it's already trashed...might make it expand enough to slide off the shaft, but i've never torn into a w56, so i couldn't say for sure.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
that'd be for the pilot bearing. he asked about the input shaft bearing. which one do you mean, franktown

input shaft bearing, if it's like a big truck, is on the mainshaft inside the front bearing cover. could try heating the bearing if it's already trashed...might make it expand enough to slide off the shaft, but i've never torn into a w56, so i couldn't say for sure.
tomato tamato.. lol my bad.. any ways theres a good shad tree trick for a piolit bearing.. lol
Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Input

Yeah I think the pilot bearing is ok. I got some good advise on here before that helped me narrow it down to the input bearing. P.S. on the pilot use wax (a candle) insted of grease it works just as well and way easyer to clean.