Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

The only thing that would draw the attention of the po po in Denver would be if you were hanging things out of the car while driving. For example, a protruding leg, arm with middle finger extended, etc. During Cinco de Mayo the cops often cite drivers for flag poles being held out to the side of a moving vehicle (state traffic code), or people clinging to the outside of vehicles (municipal traffic code). Another no-no, technically, is running tires too wide to be covered by the fenders or mudflaps.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Another statue that I know from the top of my head is CRS 42-4-1407, which is the one that requires you to have mud flaps.

That's for commercial vehicles over 10k lbs. Doesn't apply to us. Mud flaps are not required, except in City of Denver, which has a specific ordinance.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
AFAIK your vehicle must retain OE glass (e.g. tempered or safety), marker lights, headlights, etc.
Marker lights are only required on vehicles over 30' long and 80" wide. At the risk of sounding like a dick, you guys need to research the CRS laws before posting up erroneous info for everyone else to take as gospel. Everyone should read through this to better understand what is and isn't required.

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext...main-h.htm&cp=

Here's another big one people always assume; running without a windshield is ok as long as you have eye protection....nope, CRS 42-4-229(4) requires a front windshield.

And another common misconception, side view mirrors are required....nope, CRS 42-4-226 requires "a" mirror allowing unobstructed view for 200 feet behind. I wouldn't want to drive without one, but it's not required. If you're towing a trailer or rear window is obstructed you need one on both sides.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Lifted

Default Mirrors

If you have a full cage, here is a mirror option. I will be picking up (or possibly building something similar) for my 40 to use with my Redline cage when the doors are off.

http://www.liquidironindustries.com/...cat=261&page=1
Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
Marker lights are only required on vehicles over 30' long and 80" wide. At the risk of sounding like a dick, you guys need to research the CRS laws before posting up erroneous info for everyone else to take as gospel.
Never said I preach the gospel, although Randy's opinion is probably much better having been a Douglas County sheriff and all. He might not be right 100% but I have a hard time disagreeing with him off the cuff w.r.t. citing statue. And sorry I used the wrong term this morning, but besides headlights every car has to have taillights, brake lights, side reflectors and a rear plate light. Not sure what else to call that stuff collectively, accessory lighting?
42-4-206. Tail lamps and reflectors.

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in section 42-4-204, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear; except that, in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rear-most vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified, and except as provided in section 42-4-215.5. Furthermore, every such vehicle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1958, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which, when lighted as required in section 42-4-204, shall comply with the provisions of this section.

(2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than twenty inches, to be measured as set forth in section 42-4-204 (3).

(3) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

(4) Every motor vehicle operated on and after January 1, 1958, upon a highway in the state of Colorado shall carry on the rear, either as part of a tail lamp or separately, one red reflector meeting the requirements of this section; except that vehicles of the type mentioned in section 42-4-207 shall be equipped with reflectors as required in those sections applicable thereto and except as provided in section 42-4-215.5.

(5) Every new motor vehicle sold and operated on and after January 1, 1958, upon a highway shall carry on the rear, whether as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two red reflectors; except that every motorcycle shall carry at least one reflector meeting the requirements of this section, and vehicles of the type mentioned in section 42-4-207 shall be equipped with reflectors as required in those sections applicable thereto.

(6) Every reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than twenty inches nor more than sixty inches, measured as set forth in section 42-4-204 (3) and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred fifty feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams and head lamps; except that visibility from a greater distance is required by law of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

(7) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
That's for commercial vehicles over 10k lbs. Doesn't apply to us. Mud flaps are not required, except in City of Denver, which has a specific ordinance.
My mistake, you are right. I've been cited in Moab and back when I checked, I read Colorado's law wrong. Sorry.
42-4-1407.5. Splash guards - when required.

(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:

(a) "Splash guards" means mud flaps, rubber, plastic or fabric aprons, or other devices directly behind the rear-most wheels, designed to minimize the spray of water and other substances to the rear.
(b) "Splash guards" must, at a minimum, be wide enough to cover the full tread of the tire or tires being protected, hang perpendicular from the vehicle not more than ten inches above the surface of the street or highway when the vehicle is empty, and generally maintain their perpendicular relationship under normal driving conditions.

(2) Except as otherwise permitted in this section, no vehicle or motor vehicle shall be driven or moved on any street or highway unless the vehicle or motor vehicle is equipped with splash guards. However, vehicles and motor vehicles with splash guards that violate this section shall be allowed to remain in service for the time necessary to continue to a place where the deficient splash guards will be replaced. Such replacement shall occur at the first reasonable opportunity.

(3) This section does not apply to:

(a) Passenger-carrying motor vehicles registered pursuant to section 42-3-305 (2);
(b) Trucks and truck tractors registered pursuant to section 42-3-305 (4) or (5) having an empty weight of ten thousand pounds or less;
(c) Trailers equipped with fenders or utility pole trailers;
(d) Vehicles while involved in chip and seal or paving operations or road widening equipment;
(e) Truck tractors or converter dollies when used in combination with other vehicles;
(f) Vehicles drawn by animals; or
(g) Bicycles or electrical assisted bicycles.

(4) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

I thought that technically, you had to run everything that was on the rig when you bought it and very few jeeps/land cruisers etc. were sold without tops or doors.
I agree that it is a dumb rule. so dumb that no one follows it, which is a good thing.

What about UPS and fedex delivery trucks? No "lip" on the bottom of those rigs when they run around with the door off. The lip can't be important. But yeah, today is one of those take the top off and drive around days.

Even if the doors and top are off of your 4runner, you STILL can't fold the windshield down and that's a real bummer! Just not the same. OK, I know I know, but We've tried it on the jeep. max speed is about 25. More than that and you wish you had the windshield up anyway.

Jealous of you guys with no tops or doors today!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

"At the risk of sounding like a dick, you guys need to research the CRS laws before posting up erroneous info for everyone else to take as gospel."

Please don't take as gospel the opinions we express on this forum. If they are useful to you, use them, if not, don't.

"Here's another big one people always assume; running without a windshield is ok as long as you have eye protection....nope, CRS 42-4-229(4) requires a front windshield."

Where does it say it cannot be folded down? That would definitely be worth the argument before the judge if you ever got a ticket!

(4) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any highway within this state unless such vehicle is equipped with a front windshield as provided in this section, except as provided in section 42-4-232 (1) and except for motor vehicles registered as collectors' items under section 42-3-219.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

intersting stuff here. sounds like there are no problems driving around sans doors and top. I dig it.

Yeah, I tried the no windshield thing.. starts to be annoying at anything more than a crawl.
82 FJ40
Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

WFC! Be safe and don't be a jerk on the road and you wont get hassled! My 40's tires stick way out beyond the body, I never run a top and the suspension is radically altered and not of factory design. I'm friends with several Louisville LEO's and they dig my Cruisers! Helps that the sergeant has a built 80 possibly....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior