Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Default Addicted's Project "Intervention"

So, I figured I would start a build thread.

This is my new personal rig. I picked up a 2000 2wd 4runner after selling my shop manager my last 2000 sport model. Reason for the 2wd is that I am replacing everything under it anyway, so this allows me to not have to spend so much up front, and give me less to cut off.

Anyway, here is the rig:

It will have three rows of seats and be the "family" wheeler as well.

Its just a Bestop Jeep TJ rear fold and tumble seat. $248 from JC Whitney.

Now, on to the build list. The goal is to build a completely capable family wheeler/daily driver that can run hard core trails when I need it to. It will also be responsible for pulling my pop-up trailer all over Colorado and beyond.

With that said, here is the build sheet.

Suspension: 3-Link front suspension. Fox 14" 2.0 Coilovers with reservoirs up front. Dual Triangulated 4-link rear. Land Cruiser Old Man Emu 861 coils in the rear. Bilstein 5125s in the rear.

Drivetrain: TRD 2nd generation Supercharger, Inchworm Prerunner Adapter to dual gear driven 23 spline transfer cases. Stock 2.28 gearing in both cases.

Front Axle: Diamond axle. Passenger drop, 66" width. 9.5" Land Cruiser center section. 5.29s, ARB, Longfield 30 spline custom length inners shafts.
Rear Axle: Diamond Axle. Full Floater, 9.5" 3rd, 5.29s, ARB, Chromoly axle shafts and drive flanges.

Steering: 79' Ford F-150 steering box. This is a huge steering box. I ran it on an old EB of mine and ran over the Hammers trails in Johnson Valley, CA and never felt the need for hydro assist, so I am using it again.
Difference between a Toyota IFS Box and the F150 4x4 box. Sector shaft size should speak for itself.

Armor: I will be building custom sliders, bumpers, etc on it as well. These will eventually(hopefully) turn into full production bumpers as well.

Tires and wheels. Five 37x12.5x17 Goodyear MTRs on 17x9 Raceline Renegade Six wheels.

Link brackets from Ballistic

OME 851 springs

MTRs

Fox Coilovers

Pre-cut link material from Carwash

Dual case adapter

Link bungs, gears, rebuild kit, bumpstops, 23 spline inputs

Oil pan, pickup, and misc parts for 3.4L.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Pure sex right here.

I will be using IFS hub assemblies with the 3rd gen 4runner rotors and calipers. That puts it at 66". Or, I can use solid axle rotor/hub assembly for 63".

Its going to start life at 66" and likely stay there. I have Raceline Renegade 6 wheels that are 17x9 and are 5" back spacing.

If I don't like the width, then I can adjust it down 3" and reduce the scrub radius at the same time. :welder:

Notice how the knuckle balls aren't welded on yet?

I will get the axle completely setup with a perfect pinion angle, and then pull it and rotate the balls to exactly 4* of caster before welding them in place.

Bling
Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Okay, rear coils are on. This should setup pretty damn nice IMO. Its only a hair tall without any settling. I measured the frame height with the front sitting level and it was at 23.75". My goal is a 23" frame height.

The pics show it with jackstands just in back of the body mount at the front of the door. So, it unloaded the rear around 2". Its current sitting at 25.75" frame height in the pics.

The plan is to use Chevy TREs with the stock low steer arms. I will ream the arms from the top so the tie-rod will be on top of the arm, not below it like stock. Time will tell how this holds up with 37s, but I know that Brian Ellinger is running these on his Ftoy with no issues. And, since I have probably six sets of arms lying around, I can carry spares easily.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM

I didn't get much time to work on it today. Wife had a dentist appt, so I had the baby until around 10:30am. Got to the shop around 11am and had to regear an IFS 3rd for a customer. Then we finished a couple bumpers for shipping.

So, around 3pm I finally got a chance to start breaking down the front IFS on the 4runner. My buddy Jeremy needs all the control arms intact for his double cab to replace his worn out stuff, so I needed to get the stuff off intact. And John is taking the steering rack. Otherwise this would have all been cut off at once.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

awesome Scotty!
TLCA#4180
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

i think we need to get togther ... this is exactlly what i was planning on doing to my 99 prerunner.. but dont know the lengths of the links to use.. basically thats all the info im missing.. besides just checking out the sweet project..
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

and uber
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Very cool build bud. I am jealous of the folks like yourself who get every peice together before they even start the build. Looks like this one is going to be fun to watch come together! :popcorn:

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

That'll be quite a family wheeler! Looking forward to seeing your build progress.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Good looking project. Looking forward to seeing the completed truck
2004 Starcraft 10RT