Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Windshield Boondoggle

On my 80, the thing leaks out of the DS, rattled like a Mariachi band, and whistled like a steam engine through and ever broadening range of speeds.

So, I got a new OEM gasket, photocopied the FSM sections of relevance, and scheduled Elite to pop it out and reinstall with the new gasket following recommended procedures.

Oh they popped it; blew it up in the first 2 minutes of trying to remove it. So then they came back with new glass 6 hours later and spent 2 hours pulling, stretching, and poking trying to get the new one until it blew as well.

Now I get to come home early on Monday and watch the shennaniginz again. I think Will Ferrell will play the role of my glass installer in the movie.

Not only that, I got &(#% Chinese cheapo glass and glass shards EVERYWHERE inside my cab and in my engine bay.

I really need to see somebody working on my rig who isn't treating it like Sherman marching across the Georgia.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
On my 80, the thing leaks out of the DS, rattled like a Mariachi band, and whistled like a steam engine through and ever broadening range of speeds.

So, I got a new OEM gasket, photocopied the FSM sections of relevance, and scheduled Elite to pop it out and reinstall with the new gasket following recommended procedures.

Oh they popped it; blew it up in the first 2 minutes of trying to remove it. So then they came back with new glass 6 hours later and spent 2 hours pulling, stretching, and poking trying to get the new one until it blew as well.

Now I get to come home early on Monday and watch the shennaniginz again. I think Will Ferrell will play the role of my glass installer in the movie.

Not only that, I got &(#% Chinese cheapo glass and glass shards EVERYWHERE inside and in my engine bay.

I really need to see somebody working on my rig who isn't treating it like Sherman marching across the Georgia.

I think your dealing with a boob that works for Elite more than the company itself. I have used them exclusivly for several years and I have zero complaints! Try taking it to the shop rather than having them come to you.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Last 80 windshield I had installed was through Elite with a non OEM gasket. I have no complaints with the install. There are no leaks and no wind noise. They did use Chinese glass though. Not sure if there is any way around that anymore.

Make sure your wind noise isn't coming from the sun roof. You will hear the whistle from the passenger side A pillar.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

I went up to see Jerry Ekberg at Boulder Toyota and he had Elite do it. It went fine and I got a great deal.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Make sure your wind noise isn't coming from the sun roof. You will hear the whistle from the passenger side A pillar.
Awright, hode up. Seriously? Specifically, what is the source of the whistle then?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Elite replaced the windshield on the 80 and it took the installer two tries after blowing up the first replacement glass. Then I took the truck to an autobody shop for an estimate to repair the gouges on the roof and A-pillars - $800! Called Elite, they said they would pay for it. Took the truck back to the Elite-approved body shop and they wouldn't do the repairs because Elite was refusing to pay for a similar situation on a car they originally said they would pay for repairs on. Elite said "sorry" and that was it, no repairs made. The boob installer screwed up the paint and first windshield and then Elite wouldn't pay for the repairs. No more Elite autoglass for me.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Elite replaced the windshield on the 80 and it took the installer two tries after blowing up the first replacement glass. Then I took the truck to an autobody shop for an estimate to repair the gouges on the roof and A-pillars - $800! Called Elite, they said they would pay for it. Took the truck back to the Elite-approved body shop and they wouldn't do the repairs because Elite was refusing to pay for a similar situation on a car they originally said they would pay for repairs on. Elite said "sorry" and that was it, no repairs made. The boob installer screwed up the paint and first windshield and then Elite wouldn't pay for the repairs. No more Elite autoglass for me.
Interesting! Maybe it's what glass shop did it more than anything....I don't know. Poor customer service means a lot to me! If they don't care if I come back I don't have any reason to go there in the first place!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Try taking it to the shop rather than having them come to you.
He'll need a windshield for that (sorry, couldn't help it)
Old 04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
He'll need a windshield for that (sorry, couldn't help it)
Read man! All he needs is eye protection and he can drive it anywhere!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

We used Elite on the 4Runner last year. They just ripped of the chrome trim around the window frame, when it was time to put it back on it would not fit imagine that So the guy called his boss and they would replace the trim, just had to order it.

Six weeks later they got the part after I called them to see if it was in. Guy comes out and he brings a new windshield, installs it and wants to leave. Hold on there buddy what about my frame?? The guy had no clue.
Had him call his boss and he said they would come out the next day and fix it.

Appointment number three, guy is there and has the trim parts. Starts with the first piece, long bottom section. Next was the A pillar piece that would not stay no matter what the guy did. Finally he had it and told me good bye, HUH

I asked him what about the other pieces?? Nope just those, back on the phone. The shop told me they never replaced them before so why now? Long and short of it is my insurance withheld payment and Elite just wrote it off.

Now I need a new windshield again so where do I go????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me