Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Elite replaced the windshield on the 80 and it took the installer two tries after blowing up the first replacement glass. Then I took the truck to an autobody shop for an estimate to repair the gouges on the roof and A-pillars - $800! Called Elite, they said they would pay for it. Took the truck back to the Elite-approved body shop and they wouldn't do the repairs because Elite was refusing to pay for a similar situation on a car they originally said they would pay for repairs on. Elite said "sorry" and that was it, no repairs made. The boob installer screwed up the paint and first windshield and then Elite wouldn't pay for the repairs. No more Elite autoglass for me.
So the other story is I had a guy who does chip repair by the Home Depot in Longmont repair some spots on my SC on Saturday. After 30 minutes I can just tell the guy totally knows what he is doing. He offered to do my windshield and give me a list of choices for the glass. I can get an American made PPG with no tint installed for $170 by this guy.

I'm gonna give Elite until 11am to call me back. Then I'm going with this guy.

@Crash - My new gasket looks like it was given to a 6 month old pit bull for a chew toy. If I think about it enough, I'll get really POed.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

RE: Chinese glass - my '87 Camry got a new windshield from Safelite (while in my brother's care) and the new glass had too much curvature in the middle, so it leaked at the bottom center, and (far worse) the wiper arms actually rubbed on the glass, until I modified the wipers. I would have never believed that anyone's quality control could be so poor, but this surely was. I would have stormed the Safelite shop where he had the work done and demanded a replacement that fit, but it was in another state. So, beware of misshapen replacement glass!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

So the windshield is in. Elite came back, two of them this time. Of of the guys, Jaimie out of Longmont, is outstanding. He made the whole process look extremely simple. I think the first guy really had a difficult time with the new gasket, which I understand is difficult for anyone.

But after all this, if you're looking for somebody at Elite, as for Jaimie (that is a Spanish name so use the phonetic "H").

As for the leaks, rattles, and whistles? We shall see soon.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Try taking it to the shop rather than having them come to you.
If you have the time I've found this repeatably has better results than field replacement. Seems the higher variability of weather ends up with lots of different results. The guy inside the shop isn't getting sand blasted in the wind or rushing to bet a rain storm. OTOH with the Hilux it seems that unless the installer is a real numbnut the installs are mostly drama-free (save for the trim, I've had the same problems as Tom, but they don't leak at least). Probably a combo of more traditional gasket installation and that they probably do 20x more than Cruisers. Heck, we're lucky North America that they even use real windshield glue on the Hilux. In the 3rd world they install the windscreen glass with a cow dung and tree sap mixture.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
If you have the time I've found this repeatably has better results than field replacement. Seems the higher variability of weather ends up with lots of different results. The guy inside the shop isn't getting sand blasted in the wind or rushing to bet a rain storm. OTOH with the Hilux it seems that unless the installer is a real numbnut the installs are mostly drama-free (save for the trim, I've had the same problems as Tom, but they don't leak at least). Probably a combo of more traditional gasket installation and that they probably do 20x more than Cruisers. Heck, we're lucky North America that they even use real windshield glue on the Hilux. In the 3rd world they install the windscreen glass with a cow dung and tree sap mixture.
The bosses and guys with seniority work at the shop.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
The bosses and guys with seniority work at the shop.
That makes sense, too.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Lifted

I've had good experiences with 'Blue Ribbon Auto Glass' (303 466 6874) based in Broomfield. This is a one-man operation - Rusty answers the phone, drives the van, does the work. High quality work, reasonable prices, responsive to phone calls, shows up when he says he will. Highly recommended.

-Phrog
Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Went to Elite yesterday for a new windshield in the Duramax. PPG got bought out/sold to PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works. According to the manager Elite no longer offers U.S.A. made glass. Everything in the shop was XYG or PGW.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm in the market for a new windshield as of two weeks ago. I'm going to wait until after moab.
Are there any brands of glass that are recd for 80s?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
i'm In The Market For A New Windshield As Of Two Weeks Ago. I'm Going To Wait Until After Moab.
Are There Any Brands Of Glass That Are Recd For 80s?
Oem
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133