Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Help Diagnosing Noise

Hi All,

I have a mysterious clicking/ratcheting noise that comes from underneath the truck (1997 80 series) when turning. It seems to come from the center of the truck (differential?) but I can't be sure. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm sure it needs to be inspected, but I'd like to go into the shop kind of knowing what to look for.

Thanks
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

First guess is your front axle needs to be re-built

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...build-faq.html

What do the backside of the Knuckles look like? If they are covered in sludge, thats a good sign

Here is a side view of the knuckle broken down to help orient you. If you look at where the axle goes into the tire, thats what I am talking about

02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

its hard to diag a noise without hearing it.. id reccomend taking it into a shop, just describe the noise the best as possible expectually how and when it happens.. what speed, braking, accelrating, turning, costing, and make sure that its on the work order..that way the tech can duplicate it.. becase alot of times expectually at my work that info is lost at the service writer and is never given to the technician.. to prevent the lost info id ask to speak directlly to the tech..
Old 04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

x2 on what Romer said...I'd guess one or both of your birfs/birfields is/are clicking. Front axle service for sure sounds like something in your future (either yourself of $$ to someone else - of which there are several in the club that will do the work for you cheaper than a dealership will) and when you have it apart inspect the birfs for damage and if they look "ok" then swapping sides should hopefully rid you of the clicking and extend the life the birfs....

Here are somes pics that might help:

Looking at the backside of the knuckle (this is the part in the picture Romer posted but with everthing still "around" it) you can see signs that the inner axle seal is leaking - notice the grease on the knuckle is wetter than moly grease typically would be - sort of "soupy" looking indicating gear oil is getting past the inner axle seal, mixing with the moly grease in the birf/knuckle, and oozing past the wiper seal components (rubber + felt + metal). This was my DS knuckle...It wasn't horrible but I felt it was time to be serviced.

Name:  Mar 08 DS 2 (Medium).JPG
Views: 120
Size:  36.3 KB

This what a birf/birfield looks like sans the cage, star, and balls, and of course sans all the molly grease

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  118.0 KB

Inner part of the birf - note the wear marks or grooves. IIRC these grooves are what cause the "clicking" noise as the balls move. Swapping the birfields from side to side changes where the balls wear.

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  96.2 KB

This is the birf "star" - note again the wear marks or grooves

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  57.3 KB

Birfield with the cage, star, and balls installed, packed with moly grease, and inner axle back in place. You can also see where the axle has been "riding" on the inner axle seal (wear area just above the birf on the axle itself - like ring marks)

Name:  8.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  68.5 KB

Here is a MUD thread on taking birfs apart and putting them back together - A must do when swapping side to side and repacking with moly grease IMO but I'm more of a web mechanic than a good mechanic
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks Ken, Tim & Jeff. Great advice. I'll take a look at the backside of the knuckle tomorrow. I bet you guys are spot on!
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
its hard to diag a noise without hearing it.. id reccomend taking it into a shop, just describe the noise the best as possible expectually how and when it happens.. what speed, braking, accelrating, turning, costing, and make sure that its on the work order..that way the tech can duplicate it.. becase alot of times expectually at my work that info is lost at the service writer and is never given to the technician.. to prevent the lost info id ask to speak directlly to the tech..

If it's a front axle job, I wouldn't take it to any shop. It's something easy to not get quite right. There are several shops around that I would trust, but it's a great opportunity to learn how to do something key that you might need to fux on the trail. Lots of folks around who could help you, Last weekend you could have gone to the WBPP party and had lots of people help you
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Plus if you have 2 80s, doing it yourself will save you a ton of

I had Ben (ThreeWheelBen) do my 80 a few years ago and he was gracious enough to let me help, watch, and learn. That went a long way to my education and understanding and gave me just enough confidence to tackle the job on my LX when the time came last year. In reality it is not a difficult job with the right tools and help, but it is a REALLY messy job

Take some pictures of both sides and post them up for some opinions. You also might want to check the grease level in the knuckles...Remove the square plug (that might be hiding under years of grease, muck, and road grime - so clean the area off first so you don't drop any of that gunk down into the knuckle) and then use something long and thin to poke down into the hole. Not an exact science by any means but if you come up dry (no grease) or with soup on the stick, that will help the diagnosis...If the knuckles are totally dry, get a grease gun and several tubes or more of moly grease and pump that stuff into the hole...Dry knuckles/birfs = bad
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Last edited by corsair23; 04-11-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
.... This was my DS knuckle...It wasn't horrible but I felt it was time to be serviced.

Attachment 18095

ya think? man I'd hate to see what a you call horrible.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
ya think? man I'd hate to see what a you call horrible.
Oh you've seen the pictures of "horrible" on MUD

In my defense, the auditor from the aftermarket warranty company claimed this was normal leakage, at least two different times/inspections - Took me almost 2 years but I finally got them to pony up the money for ALL the parts for a full/complete front axle service (including new bearings etc.) if I paid for/did the labor. Cost of parts quoted and paid to me was of course the full retail cost . - I think they just got tired of me calling, emailing, sending pictures, and taking the truck up to Kuni (free wash svc when you dropped the rig off don't you know...)

They were willing to spend $1200 (or was it $1500, can't remember) bucks for Kuni to basically do a bearing repack - Seriously...They just couldn't understand that a repack would do nothing for this problem and was a waste of $$ and time. Good thing for me that my warranty covered "seals" even if they were a bugger of a company to get to live up to their warranty.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Well it looks like you all were right. Here's a couple of pics that tell the tale!
Attached Images

TLCA#19430

2005 Subaru Outback XT