Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

In Mental Health, budgets are being slashed and the Mentally Ill are being shifted to programs were they can succeed for a short period but than may end up back on the streets. Further, many of the individuals that could be helped on Outpatient levels of care may end up in jails. Over 60% of the prison population has mental illness. Many of them have substance abuse issues which gets them into the correction system. Do the math on that one. Psychotropics and therapy is far cheaper than warehousing an individual. FYI - It costs taxpayers around $80 a day in CO to have someone in prison.

One the outpatient side of the house were individuals have low grade mental health issues or even situational stressors, business is at an all time high.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

My wife says I have a Land Cruiser addiction, Dr. Schlegs. Is there a cure?
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Rising Sun member

Engineering was booming in the Denver area during 2007 and half of 2008. Companies like mine that were in the middle of projects going into the recession in the 3rd quarter of 2008 were able to hang in for quite a while, but about the 3rd quarter of 2009 my company ran out of work for me to do. The primary clients for my department are renewable energy startup companies and refineries. The startup companies have been receiving less government funding over the past year and a half, and the venture capital investors have been holding back on their investing a little bit, so the renewable fuels market has slowed WAY down...on the refinery side the EPA keeps mandating upgrades to existing refineries, and tightening down on the emissions requirements etc. For example though, one of our clients had to reduce their NOx emissions by 50% in a certain state. They own two refineries in that state, and originally were thinking of having us help them redesign their heaters and boilers to have reduced emissions in both refineries. But after looking at the market and the budget for the project (and the schedule for the project), they decided to just completely shut down one of their refineries (mothball it). Instant 50% reduction of emissions. And my engineering company doesn't have a contract.

I've heard the same story coming from the energy side of the engineering world. Right now there are a lot of projects that are waiting on funding to be released before they start. That's why I'm in New Mexico right now; the government happened to have a project they needed help on, and nothing else looked promising as far as our other clients went, so I followed the work down here.

I agree with whoever said it earlier, it seems like the government is the only one able to fund projects these days, and it seems like "they" "want" us to work for the government. I guess right now I'm indirectly doing that, but I would much rather not (and I definitely don't want to be a government-hired engineer). Suspicious that the government has so much money to spend when the real industries of this country don't...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Rock Stacker

I own a very small business in the oil and gas industry, and it is doing way better this year than last with oil at $80/bbl. The majority of my work is in natural gas though, so it would be nice to see prices above $4/mcf.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hulk,

Tell your wife it is better than drugs, gambling, or woman. At least she knows she can find you; out in the garage under a land cruiser. When I do drug counseling clients will ask me what my drug of choice is, I tell them double stuffed oreos.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Lifted

I had a pretty good high walking around classic cruisers with you Schlegs, all that twisted crap steel laying there slowing dying had me floating. That is until they tried to sell me the clark tranny for 2500, then that high went away from reality.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I agree with whoever said it earlier, it seems like the government is the only one able to fund projects these days, and it seems like "they" "want" us to work for the government. I guess right now I'm indirectly doing that, but I would much rather not (and I definitely don't want to be a government-hired engineer). Suspicious that the government has so much money to spend when the real industries of this country don't...
They don't...But the government can print money, real industries can't
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Well, things may get better, or worse....

Qwest / CenturyTel to "Merge"
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
My wife says I have a Land Cruiser addiction, Dr. Schlegs. Is there a cure?
Yup. Minitrucks. VERY addictive.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Health and Human Services outsourced technology is limping along, flat (which beats the heck out of declining like a year or two ago). I was one of the lucky ones who was on top of the pile in reviews (no gloat, just grateful) so I missed the axe (thankfully, that is pretty much the deciding factor our company used. Others were not so lucky, work hard AND lose your job. Yech). I cannot imagine what life would be like to have unemployment thrown in on top of everything else.

When the economy does pop, however, we are extremely well positioned and very efficient, and have a heck of a technology platform that is getting (or has already gotten) all the bugs worked out. The competition cannot afford to develop something competitive.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.