Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Exclamation arb mounts

any reason not to open up the arb antenna mounts to 3/4 nmo? I really don't want to run a hatch mount (or hood mount) like the rest of the 80 crowd and I want to run this antenna http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/sg7900nmo.html

My little adapter won't work with the room between the bar and the hood on the 80.

I only plan to screw on the antenna when in use and the rest of the time use the nmo rain cover most of the time.

thoughts, likes, dislikes, attempts at thread hijack
TLCA#4180
Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have a couple of those ARB brackets. They are OK, but honestly I think for what they cost a piece of thickish aluminum sheet and two exhaust clamps works a lot better. I'll have to snap a photo of what I made. The ARB brackets are sorta awkward in the way they fit, at least on my truck. They had to point forward because they keep the hood from opening otherwise.

BTW, AFAIK that Diamond does not use an NMO mount, but it's an SO239 type. Those are OK, but I feel they are less weatherproof and more prone to breaking. It's also a >$100 antenna, which is pricey for a 2m/70cm dual bander.

And yeah, I think it's a fine idea. This is exactly what I do with my CB antenna, 99.999999% of the time it wears a little black aluminum NMO rain cap.

The only thing I found mounting stuff on the ARB like this is that it will not ground through the powdercoat and so you will probably have to run a ground strap from the mount itself to the frame or a bolt or something. I drilled a small hole and used a star locking washer that cut into the paint into a wire lug. I ran the ground to the bumper and ran another strap to the frame, so that the bumper itself was also grounded to the frame, along with the hood, fenders and cab.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I have the Comet version of that antenna if you haven't bought the Diamond yet. $50 if you want it.

Item : CSB-790A
Description : 2M/440 MOBILE ANT 15OW 62 IN TALL 5.1/7.7 DB GAIN UHF MT
YOUR HRO PRICE $99.95

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I have a couple of those ARB brackets.
I'm talking about the ones that are prewelded on the arb bar on the top. I'm guessing the are built for HF antennas which are more popular in OZ. I'm not buying the clamp on ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
BTW, AFAIK that Diamond does not use an NMO mount, but it's an SO239 type. Those are OK, but I feel they are less weatherproof and more prone to breaking. It's also a >$100 antenna which is pricey for a 2m/70cm dual bander.
It says it's an NMO mount? http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/sg7900nmo.html I thought about running just a straight 2m antenna since I really don't plan to be on 440 but what the hell is $50 on a $700 set up...

I think the comet root listed below is an SO239 but I can't tell. I guess nmo and SO239 interchangeable?

I think i'll take it treeroot but I haven't fully decided on antenna and mounting.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Don't do it, Wes! rock one of these babies on the side of the fender http://www.gamiviti.com/html/product...nnamounts.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I'm talking about the ones that are prewelded on the arb bar on the top. I'm guessing the are built for HF antennas which are more popular in OZ. I'm not buying the clamp on ones.
My mistake, I forget that some bull bars have tabs on them. The Hilux bars do not and they use clamp on ones that are less than ideal. I would use the tabs personally, although Nakman's fender tabs are nice but you already have the ones.
Quote:
It says it's an NMO mount? http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/sg7900nmo.html I thought about running just a straight 2m antenna since I really don't plan to be on 440 but what the hell is $50 on a $700 set up...

I think the comet root listed below is an SO239 but I can't tell. I guess nmo and SO239 interchangeable?

I think i'll take it treeroot but I haven't fully decided on antenna and mounting.
SO239 and NMO are not directly interchangeable, but you can get adapters from an NMO to an SO239 antenna. You can't go the other way, so the 'universal' mount would be an NMO on the bumper or fender (or roof). Then you can get adapters for SO239 (or sometimes called UHF), or 3/8" studs or whatever else. The one you linked is NMO, I just assumed since most Diamond antennas are not.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Don't do it, Wes! rock one of these babies on the side of the fender http://www.gamiviti.com/html/product...nnamounts.html
I'm not really sold on the hood mount... Are you sure it has been properly tested probably needs demo testing
TLCA#4180
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

The welded tabs, IIRC, have a 5/8" hole and are 3/16" thick. Even if you drill it out to 3/4" for a standard NMO mount, the tab is to thick and you won't have enuf thread engagement and the center conductor might not make good contact with the antenna. What you need is a MNO-100-UHFF from here: http://www.eur-am.com/nmo.htm
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
I'm not really sold on the hood mount... Are you sure it has been properly tested probably needs demo testing
to be clear, it's not a hood mount it's a fender mount. One of the biggest benefits IMO is that the antenna doesn't move when you open the hood, so no stress on the skinny coax. I believe they have been pretty well proven out, but I'll talk to the inventor about an additional demo unit..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Quote:
Figure if they can hold up to Kurts bashing, they should work well.
Attached Images

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"