Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Pulling a pin

So I'm doing the Pin 7 Mod. Is there a trick to pulling that pin out? I looked at that video a guy put up and he used a needle nose and just pulled it out. That doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

There's a plastic piece across the back that you kind of pop out, then the pin can be removed.

When I did it years ago, it was the first time I'd messed with the Toyota plugs -- end up breaking the wire before I figured out how it worked. Now the wire is taped to the harness (disconnected) -- effective, even if not exactly what I intended!

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
There's a plastic piece across the back that you kind of pop out, then the pin can be removed.

When I did it years ago, it was the first time I'd messed with the Toyota plugs -- end up breaking the wire before I figured out how it worked. Now the wire is taped to the harness (disconnected) -- effective, even if not exactly what I intended!
In all the FAQs, nobody mentioned that. Even the little video, never saw the guy pop that piece out. I saw that piece, and wondered if that is what it was for. Damn. It is probably a given for people who do that kind of thing but I didn't get it.

I went back out to look at it again, came back in and my wife was on the computer. I got impatient and went out and pulled ... it right off. Thanks for the response but I taped it up just like you did and it works just fine.

If it ever needs to be reattached, I'll hafta attach another pin and remove the other one. But that isn't gonna happen.

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I've never done the Pin7 mod. I need to get me some edumacation on why I should be doing this, I guess.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I've never done the Pin7 mod. I need to get me some edumacation on why I should be doing this, I guess.
Did it years ago at Huxley's house... great mod. Best benefit is open center diff while in low range- handy for high traction areas involving tight turns, like Fins & Things, Hells Revenge, also the driveway and boat ramp if you ever wrestle trailers. Much easier on your driveline to avoid the binding and forced tire slip- I notice it even more now that I've got another truck that can't do this, and I really wish it would.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Slacker!! Get 'er done already...

Guess I should get around to doing mine as well - I could bring my pick set and we could have a late afternoon pin 7 pulling party in BFE

For Paul...You'll learn on these Toyota connectors (at least on the 80)...There is usually a plastic piece that holds the pins in but in ADDITION to that plastic piece, typically the connectors themselves have a barb that juts out that also locks the connector/pin in. Think of a fish hook barb. That is where a small pick comes in handy.

I could act all smart like I've know this for years but the reality is I learned this from Slee - One of the first mods I looked up even if I still haven't done it

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_cdl_pin7mod.htm
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
...Best benefit is open center diff while in low range- handy for high traction areas involving tight turns, like Fins & Things, Hells Revenge, also the driveway and boat ramp if you ever wrestle trailers.
Also "fixes" the shift-points when in Low, IIRC.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Slee's HOWTO is PERFECT! Damn. I bought my switch for the other half of the mod from them and it had instructions with it but they were only for the switch in the dash part. I should have looked on their website but I just thought all their useful info on this topic came with the switch. I guess technically it is a different part of the mod but this would have really been handy.

If I had to now I could do the switch in the dash in 5 minutes and Pin 7 in 15. Nice mod when all said and done.

I'm going to Mud and sticking the link to Slee's HOWTO in the FAQ.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

I just modified an extra hazard switch, so Hulk or others if you guys want to have a pin 7 mod party at my house, I'd be interested!!! Now that PM is the expert, we could have him and Nak come over to supervise and hand out beers!!! I've never even had my dash apart, so it would be helpful to have someone show me how to do that without breaking the dash!!!

I guess this will have to wait until after CM?

P
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well Paul you're in luck because you don't have to open the dash to do pin7, it's in the kick panel by your left foot. You do, however, need to remove the stereo/heater bezel and yes I'm pro at that, mine's been off more times than I can count. After CM for sure..

www.gamiviti.com