Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
Hey Matt,

No, you can actually remove the jets with the carb on the vehicle. Just remove the two front bolts by the sight glass and get a long screwdriver to reach the jets way inside...
How do you get the jets to come out of the fuel bowl when the carburetor is installed on the engine? It's kinda hard to reach in that M10 hole with your fingers

And how do you get the jets back in and get them threaded properly? Is it something that a person just has to try and it'll work? Or is there a technique?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
How do you get the jets to come out of the fuel bowl when the carburetor is installed on the engine? It's kinda hard to reach in that M10 hole with your fingers

And how do you get the jets back in and get them threaded properly? Is it something that a person just has to try and it'll work? Or is there a technique?
Matt,

It is actually pretty easy once you find where the jets are after removing the two front bolts at the fuel bowl. If you unscrew the jet(s) and lose them in the fuel bowl, you can easily remove the air horn and get to them that way. You'll just need a narrow flathead screwdriver and make sure you don't strip the notch in the jet. No need to remove the carb from the truck at all.

By the way, I came across two new OEM high altitude jets through Toyota in Albuquerque and couldn't pass up the super rare find. The 40 runs great (although probably a little rich), so I am going to see how she does at elevation with the 1.14mm primary and 1.80mm secondary jets. If it's too lean, I'll just put the stock 1.44mm and 2.30mm back in.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looking forward to reading this thread - getting geaked on all the good carb talk these days!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
What jets do you currently have?

The recommended starting place for jets at higher elevation (according to Jim C and tested by myself and Ricardo) are:

112 or 114 Primary
180 Secondary
50/60 or 50/50 slow
and 60 Power Valve
Does this guidance apply regardless of what year Aisan carb we are talking about?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
What jets do you currently have?

The recommended starting place for jets at higher elevation (according to Jim C and tested by myself and Ricardo) are:

112 or 114 Primary
180 Secondary
50/60 or 50/50 slow
and 60 Power Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Does this guidance apply regardless of what year Aisan carb we are talking about?
No the guidance should not be applied without taking into account year. The jetting (in Martin's post) is for the two barrel carbs that were originally on F engines in 1974 down to late 1969. Beginining with the 2f (1975 and on up) the jets are larger in the early "F engine" Aisan carbs.

While the guidance is a good starting point for these early carbs, each engine will have its own sweet spot. For example, the Blue Mule started out with an F engine and ran great with a Jim C. rebuild and when Air Randy swapped the F for a rebuilt 2F, the jet sweet spot changed. When we put in a larger primary it really woke that engine up.
TLCA #18941
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM

No. Depends on your setup. FYI, I'm waiting on a call back from Cruiser Parts. It sounds like they have a good variety and supply of jets. Unfortunately, they got some nasty weather and have a skeleton crew today so the guy that will REALLY know is not available. I also ordered some jet gauges and reams yesterday to make up for not having a buddy I see regularly with a set. I'll let you know how each end goes and see what I can do for that carb tuning writeup discussed on Mud.