Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default rth: popup camper electrical

So I pull into a cool campsite in Moab at dusk tonight...a Fleetwood Tucson, used to be Nakman's...notice the running lights and tail lights are not working, but the brake lights and turn signals are ok. Get the camper setup, and get in and no lights at all inside...the little cooking LED that Tim installed is working, and so is the CO detector, and the 12v outlet...but no overhead lights, fridge, or furnace. I spent an hour looking at wires and fuses (all seem ok) and nothing. Hook up a fully charged battery, same thing. Everything was working great this morning when I packed.

2 things occurred to me...one is I turned the fridge on to 12v (from outside) when I got gas in Rifle, which I never did before. The other is the road in to the campsite was pretty rough. Could I have shaken something loose? If so, why does some stuff work?

We had not eaten yet and it was 10 by the time I got done messing around, so we went into town for birthday dinner and got lucky with the last hotel room in town for under $100. Any ideas on what I should look for tomorrow? I do have a voltage tester...been looking online for a manual but nothing so far.

Thanks!!!!! timmbuck2@yahoo.com if you have any great ideas
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

nothing to look for besides what you have already look at.. lucky for you im bringing my master electrical diag kit.. so should i call this a service call and charge you for the miles JK, ill be there monday afternoon if you dont figure it out by then.. check the conections on the back side of the fuse/relay block.. could have a loose conection there.. also try switch your frige back the way it was.. did you have your trailer pluged into your truck when it was working ? and is it still pluged into the truck when your trying to use it now, while its not working ?? could a goofy conection in that circut if the trailer is set up to get power from the truck..
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did turn off the fridge.

Found a manual...maybe the galley kill switch is not getting pressed? The led light and 12v outlet were both added by Tim and probably bypass that switch...
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

yea he problly went stright off the battery.. which means you have a short or switch turned off, between the battery and your relay/fuse block.. follow the main battery + from the batt into the trailer as best as you can, youll find the problem along that wire somewere.. most likely a switch, or loose connection/wire. if you really wanted to get indepth id start ohming the wire and check ristance to ground through that + wire at the fuse/relay block.. you should have NO ristance to ground at all.. it should read OL (out of limit).. also check the ground on the battery if its loose that could fix it by tightening it up.. and if TIM ran a seperat ground for all his lights that would explain why his light work and the trailer dose not.. assuming there is a common ground for the whole trailer.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

E-mail sent hope it helps
Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

For some reason, a fuse always blew when I setup and put down. It was hard to see the break.

I would one by one pull the fuses and make sure there is 12V on one leg of the two fuse sockets. Then doble check the fuses by ohming it out to make sure there is a full connection.

I would verify the ground connection is good throughout, loosing your ground could cause this

Only other thing is to then follow the wiring with the voltmeter.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default lights?

Hey Tim did you get the lights working?
The pop-up that I am borrowing I looked at the lights today and found two problems both with grounds. The ground from the battery to the frame was rusted and not making a good connection once that was fixed the light on the step would work but not the dome lights. Found the pigtail in the rear of the camper that feeds power and ground to the top part of the camper had come loose reconnected the pigtail twice before it would stay. Now all my lights work including my park lamps.
Good luck and happy hunting Art
Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks all...it was indeed the galley kill switch....the leg on the cool little counter "extender" that Nakman installed was keeping the switch from clsing the final 1/8 of an inch. I learned that I have to hold that counter extender up and put it down after the galley is seated.

On the drive back last night I noticed the running lights are still out...brake lights and turn signals/hazards work great, and the outdoor light, but the side running lights and tail lights are not working. Not a fun 7 hours drive (bad snow on Vail pass all the way to a few miles east of the tunnel) knowing I had no tail lights. I am thinking it might be on my truck and not the trailer...the trailer is relatively new, and I know that Nakman knows his wiring a LOT better than me...and it was working on the first trip. I will hopefully get around to messing with it soon. Thanks again all!

Timm
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

No running lights sounds like something going at the plug connection? Maybe it's not making contact.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM

did you check the truck side fuses? the running lights are separate from, brake turn..

At least that is what happens on my 80