Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Another battery thread....

So after winning the National Luna dual battery set up at the raffle I need another battery to complete the system. My plan is to mount the 2nd battery under the truck using the Metal Tech battery tray that bolts up to my sliders. I'll move my accessories like the fridge over to the 2nd battery. I currently have a group 31 blue top Optima. So I could replace my starting battery or get a larger battery to run the accessories.

New starting battery: Die ard Platinum group 65, $200
or
New accessory battery: Deka group 31, $183 or $219 depending on model.

I have a local Deka retailer(Hensley) in Durango so that is easy Or the nearest Sears is an hour away. The biggest advantage to the Die Hard I see is warranty, 4 years full and 100 month prorated. Where the Deka is only 18 month full and 18 month prorated. Plus its probably easier to find a Sears when traveling than a Deka dealer if it fails while on vacation.

Any other batteries I should consider? I have NAPA, Autozone, O'Reilly in Durango. to shop other options.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

I like the Diehards from a capacity standpoint, however the issue I ran into is the battery terminals are so close to the edge of the battery that there is a risk of shorting via the tie down. Treeroot fabricated a custom one for me and there are no issues now.
One other thing I like about the Diehards is almost anywhere you go around the country there is a Sears store for replacements if needed.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Duralast Cromwell autozone were rated best/strongest battery nationwide in a 3 party test about 3 years ago. I'm sure nothing else has changed. I've used them and love them. Just buy the gold series. They also have the best warrenty.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

First of all you suck on winning the National Luna system!!

As for batteries, it seems we are having a bit of "hit and miss" success with the Dekas (see Romer's thread) so maybe the Die Hard is the way to go...

Let me know what you think of the National Luna system once you get it set up...I was talking to Paul about it but based on what I've read I'm thinking for my application with the winch and all it may not be the way to go
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

what about your winch?

I originally planned to copy Marco's dual battery set up but after winning this it looks like I'll be running the National Luna. Unless I sell it? Romer's Deka's were blems so its hard for me to base a decision on those. Others seem to be happy. I could go with the Die Hard marine group 31 but that one is money at $250

First I need to get the Metal Tech tray and make sure there is room for a group 31 there. It was designed around a smaller group 34 I think? But I much prefer to keep the COG low with it mounted down there.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Corbet you got this kit right? http://www.equipt1.com/h/component/p...art/Itemid,31/

so sweet...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I went this route with the National Luna kit because of the winch. The kit says, do not use anything that comes in this kit if you plan on using a winch.
I have the Deka batteries and couldn't be happier.

140 +95 + 70 +50

Pac PAC500 500/700 Amp Power Relay/Battery Weatherproof Isolator PAC500 606523108041

EQUIPT Expedition Outfitters - National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

EQUIPT Expedition Outfitters - National Luna Dual Battery Controller (with dual audible ala

Genuinedealz > Marine Electrical Supply - Boat and Marine Electrical Connectors, Tubing
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
what about your winch?
From what I've read and in talking to Paul, the cabling that comes with the kit is a little on the small side for use with winching operations...I think the instructions even mention that as well. Paul's suggestion was to buy the piece parts separate if it was a concern because a lot of the cost of the kit is rolled up in the cabling anyway.

That said, if I won that kit I'd be running it for sure even if I did have to spend some to upgrade the cabling
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Corbet you got this kit right? http://www.equipt1.com/h/component/p...art/Itemid,31/

so sweet...
Yes, that's the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I went this route with the National Luna kit because of the winch. The kit says, do not use anything that comes in this kit if you plan on using a winch.
I have the Deka batteries and couldn't be happier.

140 +95 + 70 +50

Pac PAC500 500/700 Amp Power Relay/Battery Weatherproof Isolator PAC500 606523108041

EQUIPT Expedition Outfitters - National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

EQUIPT Expedition Outfitters - National Luna Dual Battery Controller (with dual audible ala

Genuinedealz > Marine Electrical Supply - Boat and Marine Electrical Connectors, Tubing
Mike, thanks for the links. So you basically just replaced the solenoid and wire with heavier duty stuff. After reading the install instructions that was what I concluded it needed as well. Did you do a write up when did the install? Edit, found it http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...t=luna&page=64 But mike why did you link this one but use the Wrangler Power unit in your build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
From what I've read and in talking to Paul, the cabling that comes with the kit is a little on the small side for use with winching operations...I think the instructions even mention that as well. Paul's suggestion was to buy the piece parts separate if it was a concern because a lot of the cost of the kit is rolled up in the cabling anyway.
Search for Marco's dual battery write-up. I think you'll copy his if starting from scratch.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 05-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you have a winch, you'll need to upgrade all that cabling.

I installed the National Luna kit in my 60 (no winch) and I love it. Works great and I really like the voltage readouts and controller in the cab. I recently ran my engel 45 for 5 days without starting the rig. It lowere my optima yellow top aux battery down to about 11.8 volts, then auto switched to the other battery (after 4 days). Started right up when I went to leave camp.

Here's the link to my national luna kit install

'85 FJ60

Last edited by MDH33; 05-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.