Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 Engine and 4 Speed

Well over a year ago I started collecting parts to put a 4 speed transmission into my FJ40. I have an F.5 engine with new gaskets and seals, a ceramic coated 6 into 1 header, a new diaphragm clutch, 4 speed transmission, 4 speed t-case and 3.70 thirds ready to go in. After that, a new exhaust will be done. This is an very interesting learning experience and the largest project I've take on.

I'll add pictures and notes, observations to this thread and post up my progress along the way. Here is the new (to me) engine.

As of this evening, the 3 speed t-case, transmission, transmission hump have been removed. Considering that the seats, heater and gas tank all need to be moved somewhat, I'm pretty pleased that I have only one broken bolt head.

Tomorrow is Mothers Day so I won't get very much work done. Perhaps I'll progress some during the evenings this week. It is nice to finally be into this project and I'm looking forward to the end result.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 05-09-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Well over a year ago I started collecting parts to put a speed transmission into my FJ40.
I wouldn't count on it giving you much extra speed!

...Cool project Ricardo! Why are you going 3.7 gears? And why didn't you pull the whole shebang out all in one shot?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'll be watching this thread to find out what you learn. Someday I'd like to do the 4 speed swap as well.

'85 FJ60
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

'bout time

Looking forward to watching your progress. Too bad you live way down there on the south side....
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

While you have easy access I would make a simple fluid heat riser for the bottom of the intake. Very simple to do task and you will be very glad you did next winter!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Lifted

I see you've upgraded to an electronic ignition as well. Nice work!
TLCA #17904
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Matt-
We're installing the 3.70 thirds in an attempt to lower the highway revs and hopefully make it a more livable 65 mph truck. Also, we're removing the transmission and t-case separately because of the way the truck is pulled into the garage. In order to pull everything out on the hoist, the truck would have to be pulled out to the downhill sloping driveway without a good way of getting it back in the garage.

1997 T100 4x4
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just push it with your other car ! Place a old tire or wood betweer the bumpers. And slowlly push ! It would make the whole motor process much more enjoyable.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanoort View Post
I see you've upgraded to an electronic ignition as well. Nice work!
I've been running an electronic ignition (78 small cap dizzy and 60 series coil/ignitor) since last summer. I'm pretty excited to have be making the move to the 60 series dizzy. My carb still does not have the ported vacuum but there will be time to take care of that this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
While you have easy access I would make a simple fluid heat riser for the bottom of the intake. Very simple to do task and you will be very glad you did next winter!
My fab skills and equipment are not sufficient at this stage, so I'll have to go with the man-a-fre riser. This will likely be something that I add on after getting it all up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomboom View Post
Matt-
We're installing the 3.70 thirds in an attempt to lower the highway revs and hopefully make it a more livable 65 mph truck. Also, we're removing the transmission and t-case separately because of the way the truck is pulled into the garage. In order to pull everything out on the hoist, the truck would have to be pulled out to the downhill sloping driveway without a good way of getting it back in the garage.
Of course, the 3.70 thirds may not work out very well when driving in the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
Just push it with your other car ! Place a old tire or wood betweer the bumpers. And slowlly push ! It would make the whole motor process much more enjoyable.
The access is also gets complicated by the garage door itself. I've been giving this all some more thought and will try to put everything in as a single unit. If we position the truck at an angle coming into the garage, we should have enough room to put everything in.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post

My fab skills and equipment are not sufficient at this stage, so I'll have to go with the man-a-fre riser. This will likely be something that I add on after getting it all up and running.

You need a square 3" x 4" 1/4" steel plate, a 3/8" bit, 7/16" bit, 3/8" pipe tap and a couple fittings found at Home Depot or Lowes.......thats beyond your capabilities?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior