Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
You need a square 3" x 4" 1/4" steel plate, a 3/8" bit, 7/16" bit, 3/8" pipe tap and a couple fittings found at Home Depot or Lowes.......thats beyond your capabilities?
Well, put that way - it seems within the realm of what I can do. The 3" X 4" 1/4" steel plate, I can pick up at Altitude. I should have the drill bit.

The 3/8" pipe tap would be new to me, my tap and die set is all metric. The fittings are bit less clear to me. Conceptually, I understand that all these things come together to route engine coolant around/under the intake.

I know others have fabricated this, was even documented in Trails many years ago. The closest I've been able to find on a "Ricardo understandable" write up was a reference and pictures by Ed Long on MUD. Alas, my mind doesn't have it all figured out.

I'd like to give this a go and would even document the process, but I could use some help on the details.
TLCA #18941
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I'd like to give this a go and would even document the process, but I could use some help on the details.
Ricardo,

I've got a heat riser kit sitting in my garage...Bought it years ago (yeah, big surprise right Wes? ) for the '76 but haven't gotten around to installing it.

If you're interested in borrowing it to see how it is all put together/works, feel free to swing by. Not sure what make it is but I think it is a complete setup and it might help you with the details. I've also got large Craftsman tap & die set with metric and SAE if you're looking for a 3/8" tap
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Ricardo,

I've got a heat riser kit sitting in my garage...Bought it years ago (yeah, big surprise right Wes? ) for the '76 but haven't gotten around to installing it.

If you're interested in borrowing it to see how it is all put together/works, feel free to swing by. Not sure what make it is but I think it is a complete setup and it might help you with the details. I've also got large Craftsman tap & die set with metric and SAE if you're looking for a 3/8" tap
There is your pattern Ricardo...

All it is is a plate with holes in it and some fittings...
82 FJ40
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
If I got a nickel for every time you said that...

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
If I got a nickel for every time you said that...

I know...it is like a disease
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Old T-case and Transmission

I'm keeping the vacuum shift system and needed to swap over the hi-low shift arm from my 3 speed case to the 4 speed case. The hi-low shift arm is under the big pile of gunga on the right. The shift arm has a flat spot on its shaft and the location of this flat spot is different on the two t-cases. It is not difficult to make the swap and in my situation essential to get done.

I also needed to move the parking brake cable over to the 4 speed t-case. As I was into the parking brake on the 3 speed t-case moving these parts over I was pleased to see that the oil seal I replaced last summer was holding up with no sign of leaking.

My FJ40 has always leaked 90 weight from the top cover of the t-case. With it removed from the truck, it was a bit easier to inspect it and the leak is coming from the hi-low shift arm area as indicated in the picture above. There is a seal for the hi-low shift arm and it likely failed from pressure build up due to the breather on the cover being plugged up with gunga.

The other significant item of note to log relates to the 3 speed transmission. The output shaft moves in and out almost a 1/4". I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to do that.

Here are the 3 speed transmission and t-case that will be replaced.

I'll likely rebuild the t-case (future project) and pull the transmission input shaft to use as a clutch alignment tool.
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 05-12-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Engine Teardown

Work on the engine removal progressed a bit with some teardown activity. I had some help for a while.

TheBoomBoom took care of draining the radiator and cleaning up the inevitable spill mess (not too bad this time around) and it was a nice break for me that I did not have to crawl under the truck yesterday. Then some kids showed up in a FJ Cruiser and in a flash my help was gone. No worries, I continued with the tear down; removing the alternator, radiator, fan shroud, fan & pulley, air cleaner, battery and plug wires. The engine bay is looking less cluttered.

The garage and back of the 40 are getting pretty full of stuff.

TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 05-12-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice job so far Ricardo.

What did your 4 speed and Tcase come out of and what are you planning to use for driveshafts?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I know...it is like a disease
I'm glad you have the disease, now I have a model for fabricating a fluid riser.
TLCA #18941
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Nice job so far Ricardo.

What did your 4 speed and Tcase come out of and what are you planning to use for driveshafts?
Thanks, we are well into it now. It is a busy time with school activities but I am very optimistic that it will be back on the road soon.

Originally the transmission, t-case, bell housing and drive shafts came out of a truck in the junk yard - wow your twin brother Jacket is right; it is about time I got around to doing this project. The output shaft on the transmission had some severe wear so I bought Air Randy's old H42 and will be putting that one in instead of the junkyard special.
TLCA #18941