Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 AM
kvanoort's Avatar
kvanoort kvanoort is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 191
Default Front Disc Changeover

I need to rebuild my front diff on my '72 40 and would like to upgrade to disc brakes. Is it possible to take a '77 front diff and simply switch out the drum to disc parts from the knuckles out?
__________________
Kent Van Oort
Lafayette, CO
1972 FJ40 Current Project, 1978 FJ40 Sold Project, 1975 FJ40 High School Cruiser
TLCA #17904
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 AM
RicardoJM's Avatar
RicardoJM RicardoJM is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 2,306
Default

Yes Kent, just swap everything from the knuckles out. What all do you have from the 77?

If it is the whole axle (and the gearing is appropriate) you might want to consider prepping the 77 axle and then just swapping the axles.
__________________
Ricardo Maestas - Bio Page
KD0CAW
1999 LX 470
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
kvanoort's Avatar
kvanoort kvanoort is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 191
Default

I picked up a complete front axle from a '77 40.
__________________
Kent Van Oort
Lafayette, CO
1972 FJ40 Current Project, 1978 FJ40 Sold Project, 1975 FJ40 High School Cruiser
TLCA #17904
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,147
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Yes Kent, just swap everything from the knuckles out. What all do you have from the 77?

If it is the whole axle (and the gearing is appropriate) you might want to consider prepping the 77 axle and then just swapping the axles.
By knuckles out I assume you mean from the knuckle balls out. The knuckle has the ears for the calipers to bolt to. I agree with Ricardo that it's easier to just swap the whole axle. You will need to change the brake lines as the 77's has two brake lines to the frame while the 72 has the preferred single line near the middle coming up. The drive flanges will probably be different pattern too. Both should be 4.11's if they have the stock gears. Depending on production date the 77 might even have the fine spline pinion in it.
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 AM
kvanoort's Avatar
kvanoort kvanoort is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 191
Default

I guess I'll just start digging into the '77 axle and start cleaning things up while evaluating what I have as I go. Thanks for sharing your knowledge...
__________________
Kent Van Oort
Lafayette, CO
1972 FJ40 Current Project, 1978 FJ40 Sold Project, 1975 FJ40 High School Cruiser
TLCA #17904
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
kvanoort's Avatar
kvanoort kvanoort is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 191
Default

Found this on SOR's website. Has anyone ever done one of these?

Front Disc Brake Change Over Kit-
USED-Fits 7/70-9/75 FJ40 & FJ55-USED parts have been thoroughly inspected and are in good condition-Comes with from the knuckles out, used hubs, used spindles, used knuckles, used calipers,used disc brake pads, used outer birfield axles, new rotors, & a caliper repair kit-Does NOT come with #080-35B seal (qty 2), #080-59 seal (qty 2), #080-40C shim & gasket set (qty 1), #080-04B lock tabs (qty 2), and #200-12B hub socket, order separately-Specter recommends purchasing #014-01D disc brake master cylinder, & #086-60A proportioning valve-If complete new bearings are desired, see #084-101-For Rear Disc Brake Kit see page 292. recommend new disc brake pads see #084-03.-No return on USED Parts - Club SOR Price is $ 678.30
__________________
Kent Van Oort
Lafayette, CO
1972 FJ40 Current Project, 1978 FJ40 Sold Project, 1975 FJ40 High School Cruiser
TLCA #17904
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Air Randy's Avatar
Air Randy Air Randy is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 2,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanoort View Post
Found this on SOR's website. Has anyone ever done one of these?

Front Disc Brake Change Over Kit-
USED-Fits 7/70-9/75 FJ40 & FJ55-USED parts have been thoroughly inspected and are in good condition-Comes with from the knuckles out, used hubs, used spindles, used knuckles, used calipers,used disc brake pads, used outer birfield axles, new rotors, & a caliper repair kit-Does NOT come with #080-35B seal (qty 2), #080-59 seal (qty 2), #080-40C shim & gasket set (qty 1), #080-04B lock tabs (qty 2), and #200-12B hub socket, order separately-Specter recommends purchasing #014-01D disc brake master cylinder, & #086-60A proportioning valve-If complete new bearings are desired, see #084-101-For Rear Disc Brake Kit see page 292. recommend new disc brake pads see #084-03.-No return on USED Parts - Club SOR Price is $ 678.30
Thats just all of the used 79 & newer mini truck stuff that you need to convert a cruiser to disc brakes plus new rotors. Personally, I would go down to YodaJim's & buy everything you need there. You can buy a complete disc brake equipped front end for $250 so you end up with an extra diff, housing, axles,etc you can sell and you don't have to pay freight. You can still buy new vented style rotors for $30 each.
__________________
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM
kvanoort's Avatar
kvanoort kvanoort is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 191
Default Hub Nut Size

Started tearing into the original '72 front axle this weekend and have everything off down to the knuckle. I also began digging into the '77 disc brake axle and ran into a snag. Does anyone know what size the hub nut is on the '77 axle? Is it 54mm? Thanks.
__________________
Kent Van Oort
Lafayette, CO
1972 FJ40 Current Project, 1978 FJ40 Sold Project, 1975 FJ40 High School Cruiser
TLCA #17904
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
RicardoJM's Avatar
RicardoJM RicardoJM is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 2,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanoort View Post
Started tearing into the original '72 front axle this weekend and have everything off down to the knuckle. I also began digging into the '77 disc brake axle and ran into a snag. Does anyone know what size the hub nut is on the '77 axle? Is it 54mm? Thanks.
Yes, it should be a 54mm. The drum brake axles are 52mm.
__________________
Ricardo Maestas - Bio Page
KD0CAW
1999 LX 470
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
kvanoort's Avatar
kvanoort kvanoort is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 191
Default

Time for a trip to Tool King.
__________________
Kent Van Oort
Lafayette, CO
1972 FJ40 Current Project, 1978 FJ40 Sold Project, 1975 FJ40 High School Cruiser
TLCA #17904
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.