Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Are you running a K&N air filter or other non-stock filter that requires oil? That can cause MAF problems for sure, I speak from experience. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
Are you running a K&N air filter or other non-stock filter that requires oil? That can cause MAF problems for sure, I speak from experience. T
I am actually, the MAF is the first thing Im going to check.

The thing I notice most is the idle, it dips down to about 1k and starts to shake a little.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Wincher

Ha! Now my starter went out. Good thing its not all that hard to swap, but not how I wanted to spend $100.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-J View Post
Ha! Now my starter went out. Good thing its not all that hard to swap, but not how I wanted to spend $100.
Don't spend $100! Odds are very good it's just the contacts, which is a $20 job for both the contacts and the plunger. Hardest part is getting the starter off, it's a downhill job from there. Plenty of threads abound for how to do it.. and every dealer stocks the parts and should know what you're talking about when you call.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Wincher

Too late, already bought the stupid thing! I can always take it back though.
Can you link a thread?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Too late, already bought the stupid thing! I can always take it back though.
Can you link a thread?
See page 2 of this thread... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=8913 forget for a moment that it's on a 80, it's essentially the same job except for the location of the starter, and the part numbers on the 3.4 are probably different. I've done them both though, once the starter's in your hand it should be pretty obvious what's up.

you could probably search yotatech for "starter contact" for more 3.4-specific pictures, as I don't know that this has ever been documented here.

edit: few more 80 pictures http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=11158

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Can you link a thread?
Here is the write up I used when I did my first rebuild...I'm a noob when it comes to wrenching and this helped a lot...

http://www.george4wd.taskled.com/starter.html

The most important part of this job is getting the new contacts flush and "square" on install. I'm 1 for 3 on that score - I rebuilt the starter in my LX once and no problems in 3 years. I've rebuilt the starter twice in my 80 and each time the rebuild lasted under a year - Third time I took it to an expert who cleaned up my relatively "new" contacts and plunger and did it right - Best money I've spent in a long time because the was tired of having to smack the starter in parking lots.

EDIT: Tim's faster than me
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Wincher

Thanks nakman, but i think I figured it out. Leaving work early today to get this taken care of before tonight, I have to give a friend a ride to DIA!

Mountain States has the contacts, I just have to take it in and see which ones I need. I guess they can brush the copper in the plunge and Im good to go! Then Im off to return the new started I picked up last night.

Really glad I posted up, now I can buy more beer this weekend!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Wincher

So it turns out I can't do it myself, the starter is in a bad spot where I can't get to it with the tools I have, + I don't have stands.
Can anyone recamment a place that can take care of this for me? Im going to have to have it towed, so somewhere closish to the downtown area. Mountains States wants $250, which I really don't wanna spend that much.
Im pretty much stranded without my 4Runner and need this taken care of quick, your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Its a 99SR5, V6, 4X4
Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So if you have an SR5 is that a 5-speed? If so just roll start it for a while.. if not you can typically get a few more starts by just smacking the starter with something- like the end of your longest socket extension, or the handle of an axe, or whatever you can poke down in there. You don't even need to hit it that hard usually.

I can't think of a shop downtown, I'm sure someone else will.

www.gamiviti.com