Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have the uniden 520. I like it a lot.

It seems to work as well as my big uniden bearcat (legally tuned) worked but it is smaller. I did add an external speaker which helped out a TON.

I run it with a cheap 4' whip antenna that I think I paid 20 bucks for? The antenna works as well if not better than the several firesticks I have had. I mounted it where the stock radio antenna was and used a splitter so I could share it with the FM/AM radio which I rarely use. The reception on the AM/FM radio suffered after installing the splitter, but the CB still works really well. You can find the 510's and 520's already "peaked and tuned" pretty cheaply.

If space is an issue the cobra 75 works well, it just has a bigger mic since it is all built in. The performance at least on the listening end of the cobra 75's seems to be great after listening to several folks in the club with them use them.
82 FJ40
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

also, the 520 has the RF gain adjustment which is somthing i use since the CB tends to pic up lots of interference when I transmit on the HAM radio. The 510 is the same radio but without it. I don't know if it is worth it or not, but I do turn it down when I am using the HAM primarily. It's only an issue when I use the HAm in my truck, when others use their HAM radios in their rigs it dosen't mess up at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO520X...3880147&sr=1-1
82 FJ40
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
They all suck get a HAM radio.
I have a ham. But alot of ppl don't have hams and seems everyone uses cb. There cheap enough to just have both.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
CB's don't suck, they work exactly like an inexpensive 5 watt radio in low band frequencies are expected to work.
Sorry, but yeah they do suck comparatively. I was talking to Tallahassee, FL, on 5W just this afternoon on 20m (I was at 14.395MHz on SSB) using a Hamstick vertical (this is roughly the same height as a 5/8 wavelength bottom loaded CB antenna). I was also able to hear (but not work) Chicago, North Carolina and San Diego.

The mount for this antenna is about 2 feet to the right of the CB mount on my ARB. The QSO was friendly, to the point and very nicely free of cursing or talk of big breasts.

Edit: thinking about what I said. To be fair 20m propagation is different than 11m (or ham 10m & 12m for that matter) and the guy was running a beam and I assume quite a bit more power (it was a brief contact and I was mobile). So not apples to apples. Also my radio wasn't $50, but it's amazing what 20 years of development gets ya in a radio. If you break it down, it was about $40 per band of TX coverage... That thing, though, has a very sensitive front and most CBs just don't. They are cheap, but the MFJ single band 10 W SSB & CW radios that are common in QRP DXpeditions and SOTA aren't too expensive.

FWIW, I run a Uniden PC55, which is the pre-runner to the 520. Essentially the same guts. No complaints, works for what it is.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 05-16-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

So, like I was saying, CB's were only intended to provide basic LOS, short range communications cheaply. None of the 4x4 clubs mandate a HAM radio but they all require CB, so most people on the trail will only have CB. Get one.

Also, get the least expensive and smallest antenna that works on your rig. All the hooha about big, high gain antennas is just that, makes virtually no difference on CB's especially if you're just trying to talk within your trail group. The CB will only be good for talking within your trail group or chatting with folks for a mile or so each direction on the highway.

If for some reason you are fascinated by the ability to talk to someone in their car when they are 100 miles away, and using a cell phone isn't adequate, then get a HAM radio .

Speaking of which, Dave, what did you end up doing on the mic cable for that unit you were repairing?
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
Love mine, and it's not hard to find a spot to put it.
Attached Images

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"In-justice is a threat 2 justice everywhere" MLK

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default what cb to get?

Hello Tim, are you guys getting used to your new digs? Congrats on the 84' Hi-lux w/front drive axle,and low range gearset for use on high angle roads or poor traction surfaces! I use a Uniden 520 in each of my pick-ups.Both with adj. squelch and gain.Both tuned from "Radio Svc Cntr",303 922 8107. Nice guy Steve, from the time when all radios had tubes. Anyhow on the 1st gen. the radio is bolted to the front of my bobbed "Tuffy" just behind the t-case shifter.The speaker not too far from my ear. On the second gen. the radio fits nicely under the factory stereo location,in the console,once you remove the cubby storage slot.With nothing under the radio I can hear the transmissions rather well,"pump up the volume" as needed. Wilson antenna's are great. On the trail I pick up the leader and tail gunner all the time.Both are magnet mount even! You can move em easy when the tree's are low. I use a "little will" on the bed mounted tool box (gull wing).The tool box is grounded to my frame. This works well for me,no hole to drill in my roof nor headliner to pull down(yeah I still have one) then put back. Radio Svc Cntr is a one man show, hours are tue,wed,fri 9-6 and sat 10-2. Cheers!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Speaking of which, Dave, what did you end up doing on the mic cable for that unit you were repairing?
Ricardo has been busy with his engine I guess and I have not connected with him. I have also been swamped the past few days with our family in town for Kirsten's graduation yesterday (yea, finally, been a long 3 years!).

If I cannot get Ricardo's extra mic to test in the next day or so I will just cut the strain relief and fix what I think is causing the intermittent operation.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler