Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Roof Rack Removal....issues

So yesterday I got mad at my factory roofrack and decided it was time for removal. It wasn't a fully thought out decision as I hope to take the cruiser to Utah in a few weeks and now I have a few holes in the roof The six rear most screws came out just fine, but the nutserts on the front two had been loose for a while and now I have two large openings in the roof and bits of metal in the roof. So....3 questions:
  1. Am I pretty much now guaranteed to have to take the liner out on the inside to get the metal bits that fell down in? Some of the threads on mud talked about these pieces falling into the sunroof track. I haven't tried the sunroof yet for fear of pushing the pieces in further or some such.
  2. Being that I didnt think this through, is there any sort of temporary solution to plug the holes without nutserts for the upcoming trip other than duct tape? I figure I can find some shorter fasteners for the 6 that have threads in them. Some sort of large sheet metal screw??
  3. And forgive me if this has been discussed many times before, but does anyone have a recommendation on type/brand of primer to use on the rust rings? I'm new to the whole body work/paint/etc thing.

Long term I'll have to figure something out for acutally fixing the problem. This'll teach me to not thing my projects through beforehand.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pics
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

yeah, a bigger sheet metal screw and a rosette washer and you should be fine to go. When I removed mine, I discovered an additional hole created by the PO for a CB coax... and that one has had that fix for probably 8 years now, just a large thread metal screw. I personally wouldn't drop the head liner just to get a nutzert out of there..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

1-800-TREE-ROOT

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=5216

Fast forward to about post #296
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'd plug the existing holes with allen head stainless screws from Lowes, perhaps with stainless washers and a littte black caulk (wiped off the shiny parts) to seal it all up. Perhaps you could install a new nutsert where necessary and do the same there.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Weld them up! I dropped the nutserts into the sunroof and it did cause issues. Had to pull the headliner and the sunroof assembly to get them out.

Add Simps80 to the list of derackified 80s! The OEM rust rack is nothing but trouble.

Name:  DSC_0075.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0071.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  83.7 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I see a sideline business for you Mike

I'm scared to even look at mine...Ignorance is bliss
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I read through the complete roof rack removal thread on mud. Definitely the right way to do it Just need to find the time away from work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'd plug the existing holes with allen head stainless screws from Lowes, perhaps with stainless washers and a littte black caulk (wiped off the shiny parts) to seal it all up. Perhaps you could install a new nutsert where necessary and do the same there.
Yea I think that will be my interim solution...put some primer on there, and some stainless screws in 6 of the 8 holes, and larger sheet metal screws in the other 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Weld them up! I dropped the nutserts into the sunroof and it did cause issues. Had to pull the headliner and the sunroof assembly to get them out.
I can already envision my next tech help thread after I blast a few extra holes in the roof with my wire feed or light the head liner on fire I may gingerly try and open the sunroof to see if any of the pieces got stuck in the track. With any luck it will open until I have a chance to pull it all apart. Need to do a full brake job first.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here's the pile of interior parts that is sitting in the garage and will remain there for a long long time till I can:
1. pre-wire for ham remote mount
2. get rear dome light all figured out and done
3. maybe replace speakers
4. line roof and wheel wells and whatever else with some of that b-quiet

Name:  DSC_0073.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  67.1 KB

definitely a big job, maybe even bigger than I thought when I sort of dived into it, even though I've seen it done before, its always worse on your own end...

But especially after today, with the holes all welded up and ground down ready for paint (thanks Mike!!, your skill-levels never ceases to impress me every time) I am glad I went this route for sure.

It is/will be worht it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Washer alternative

I found these little gems at McGuckins the other day.

It's got a regular plated washer on one side (not SS ) and a neoprene-like washer on the other. The combination allows for good sealing without much deformation of the rubber gasket. The didn't have metric sizes, but the #10 fits nice and snug over a Stainless M5 bolt. A bit of RTV silicone and I'll call it good.

My OEM rails came out pretty easy and don't look that bad underneath - lucky I guess. But there's enough paint damage and minor surface rust that I'll do some mitigation before painting over it.