Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Lifted

Default Operation 4runner... ENGAGE!

So... I got a job... a career going again. Have had some troubles since coming to Colorado... was about to head somewheres else, but my fate has taken a turn for the better. I have a great job... for months now... pays great, and I'm ready to get the old girl back on the path to off-road enlightenment... i.e. make the 4runner more bad-asser.

List of things to do:

1) Install headers that I've been toting around for about 18 months.
I am in a nice apartment for now, but have no garage. Does anyone want to trade a weekend of garage space for whatever I can provide? Money, beer, help on one of your projects, AutoCAD drafting, landscaping, anything I can provide? Bonus if you have a welder and can weld okay. These should be bolt on, but how many times have we all heard that? Might require some minor flange welding to get them to mate up to the cat.

2) Fix paint:
I shouldn't need any direct help on this one, but maybe some advice. I have some pretty bad oxidation on the roof. It has about killed the clear coat in a couple spots. What's the protocol? Sand and buff? Sand, and have a professional lay down new clear coat, then sand and buff? Anyone know of good paint restoration company?

Also have a couple dents. I had some paintless dent repair done on my Tacoma years ago that was amazing. He had this set of long "spoons" and massaged the dents out. The work was flawless. I have some that could use this kind of work.

Then, will need to buff out the whole thing. I think I got this covered as I have done it before to some critical acclaim. It's the big stuff I need a pro for. Also, may attempt, but may hire to fill in some scratches.

Basically, I want to restore my paint.

3) Interior:
Had a bleach stain when I bought it, on the carpet. In the back, part of the tan carpet is yellowed/whitened. Any place I can buy spray carpet dye? Saw a place once in TN a couple years ago, but didn't purchase (damm). Any suggestions?

4) Suspension tweaking:
Have adjustable King Coilovers up front. Got them as a package deal with manual hubs. Otherwise, would have gone with All-Pros or something that actually has more travel. I love the ride on the Kings, but they have no extra travel over stock, so when cranked up 2" as in my case, I loose 2" of droop. With the bigger tires, I need to decrease upward wheel travel anyways, so I was thinking, if I made or purchased spacers that would raise the suspension 1" (so about 3/8" thickness at the shock tower), I would decrease upward travel while gaining droop. Also, I wanna crank them to 2.5" lift anyways... I didn't cuz my droop is so limited already. Or should I just break down and buy coilovers with more travel? I got such a smoking deal on the Kings, I could easily get my money back. Anyone know of place I could purchase such spacers? Or can anyone fab me some up for a nominal fee?

Rear shock absorbers: Where is a good place to get some Bilstein 5100s?

5) Rear bumper:
Trailer swung around on some ice in Idaho and bashed both my rear bumper ends (also, see dents previously mentioned). I may just replace the caps, but they are about 50 bones a piece. WTF? But... had always planned on getting a nice offroad bumper built someday anyways. Maybe time to pull the trigger. Only problem is, I am not spending $1200 to get a bumper to protect against maybe $500 worth of bodywork should I hit something... Sorry Oleg... your stuff is great, but unless it's gold plated, ha ha. Anyway... anybody wanna work on fabbing a bumper (something original) with me? As I mentioned, I am pretty good with AutoCAD, and could even draw up plans/specs. Maybe one of you welders out there has always been thinking about starting a little fab business? Of course I would pay for materials and some of your time. Just a thought.

Have lots of other miscellaneous stuff too (who doesn't), but these are the biggies. If needed, I will be patient, and after my lease runs out in July, make sure to get a place with a garage... but I am rearing to go. Anyone think we could get some mutual satisfaction out of this? (yeah that sounds weird) Let me know. Even some good advice is worth at least a sixer.

Edit: I forgot to mention; I have a 5'x10' trailer with 3' sides, the use of which is also available in trade.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!

Last edited by 4runner luv; 06-07-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Sounds like you have quite a good plan going for you.

Btw- did you notice any difference in power with the throttle body spacer?

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Lifted

Nah, nothing noticeable... but then it's only supposed to add a few horsepower. I got it for $20 on eBay. Thought it was worth a shot. It sure sounds cool anyhow
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

no garage space since my dead rigs are in there, but i always have driveway space. only problem is the gas tank for the welder is empty. i should have it filled in a couple of weeks or so.
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Lifted

I would have no problem with a driveway. Maybe I could get your tanks filled as compensation for the driveway rental? Maybe I should be careful what I offer, ha, ha... what does that cost?

I figure the headers are a very full day's work, or maybe 2 moderate days. Basically a weekend.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

havent' filled it in years, so no clue what it costs. it's a small tank....anyone have an idea what a mix costs?
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

I have a medium sized tank and it's about $50 to fill up. That's at general air off sante fe and prince? So I'd bet yours is about $30 bucks or so.

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

$50 give or take depending on size sounds about right
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-20-2010, 12:44 AM

Default 3rd gen maintenance day next Sunday

We have scheduled 3rd gen maintenance repair day for next Sunday the 27th at my Commerce City 2 car garage. You're welcome to join us.

The focus is radiator replacement in lieu of the dreaded strawberry milkshake condition for auto trannys but spark plugs/fuel filter and more are planned.

Here is link to thread going on over at Yota Tech. My friend with the 01 Limited is bringing the food and beverages.

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/denver-ar...-issue-208019/

Anyone else is welcome to join in for that matter-even if you are not a Runner guy.

Ige if you want to check up on your beloved mondo swamp cooler it is still running great.

Shocks at shox.com or shockwarehouse.

I just gave away 2 rear bumper sides. Dude in Castle Rock has a 97 part out I just viewed today and parts quite reasonable in price. Watch for great deals on Yota Tech or T4R.org

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731