Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 series rear cross member

I've followed enough 80's on the trail to notice that even with an aftermarket bumper, the butt on those rigs drags over a lot of rocks. I assume this is largely because the rear cross member extends several inches beyond the body, and thus you cannot tuck a rear bumper nicely below the body and gain valuable departure clearance without cutting the frame.

So I guess my question is whether this is a common modification (cutting the frame), or why someone wouldn't do it? I spend 0 time in the 80 section on Mud, so don't hold it against me if this is a newb question.....
Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I've followed enough 80's on the trail to notice that even with an aftermarket bumper, the butt on those rigs drags over a lot of rocks. I assume this is largely because the rear cross member extends several inches beyond the body, and thus you cannot tuck a rear bumper nicely below the body and gain valuable departure clearance without cutting the frame.

So I guess my question is whether this is a common modification (cutting the frame), or why someone wouldn't do it? I spend 0 time in the 80 section on Mud, so don't hold it against me if this is a newb question.....
You getting an 80?

______
Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

makes mounting a spare tire carrier difficult. mine was cut off at the tailgate when i got it. i have a bumper now that will handle being drug, so i don't care.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I really do not think a couple of inches makes that much difference. To make a good difference, you would really need to bob the back end and loose about 16 inches of the rear. It a wagon, it has overhang. Put some metal on it and drag it.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah it's a pretty common mod- the 4x4labs bumper requires it, for example, among others, see http://www.4x4labs.com/products/rear-bumpers/ The easy argument is the new beefy bumper is way stronger than that cross member was... so cutting it shouldn't involve much heartache.

But I would side with here, I have less lift than him and smaller tires, and still don't think the overhang is that bad for how I use the truck and heck I've got the worst production aftermarket bumper available in terms of departure angle (Kaymar). Ok, second worse, the ARB one would be #1.

But still, a little butt drag hasn't seemed to slow me down much, and I've eloquently dragged it across several rocks in Colorado, Utah, and California.. so like a lot of possible mods out there this one probably isn't for me.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I looked at picture earlier of a rear bumper scrape, and it struck a memory of watching Neil throughout Devils Racetrack. Just thought I'd ask...no disrespect to the 80 owners
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

It is one of the best mods I have done, that is, cutting 3.5" off my frame and making a new crossmember out of rectangle stock and having tube bent around it.

I have a better departure angle than an 80 with a swingout with 8" lift and 40's.

Nay, care to chime in?

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

I took 4 inches out of the frame and added a cross member when I built my rear bumper and it does drag less IMHO
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 05-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm a dragger as well!!! My spare tire is mounted so low that it actually hits before my bumper does...not a good thing as it torques the swing-away when it drags. It's on my list of summer projects and is THE reason I bought my welder!!! No plans to chop the cross-member at this point.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

While mine is not an 80. 100 frame is pretty much the same. Rear cross member and 2" were cut of the back of my 100. Does a couple inches make that much a difference? When the only offering of a lift is 2.5" you bet. It surprises me more people don't do it. For me it was about still being able to use 2" receiver and have a reasonable departure angle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMM8ckE5sCQ