Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

The frustration continues. I started buying brake fluid by the gallon, and put about that much more through the system. I think at this point I'm up to probably 3+ gallons total.

I've tried as many different methods as I can think of or read about. (Assistant w/ 3 pushes on pedal, motive only, both combined, etc.) I've bled the MC in place with the motive by cracking both front and back lines and running fluid through it.

Still can't get pedal. Super mushy, and pressure doesn't build after multiple times pressing the pedal.

To compound matters, now the bleed valves on 3/4 calipers don't seem to seat right and a tiny bit of fluid has started leaking out of them. I'm wondering if the cheap napa calipers/valves have something to do with it, or if I buggered something up.

So, at this point I have somewhat resigned myself to the fact that my original 600 dollar brake job will probably double (or even more if the napa calipers are bad. Guess I learned the lesson not to give the cores back until the part is working. Also tempting to order some Toyota calipers, but oh so pricey.)

My question is, am I now limited to a dealer with the fancy abs tool and the ability to push fluid through at much higher pressures than the motive? I'll have to trailer it somewhere (not cheap) so I have to work my destination out ahead of time.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Corey,

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems...Totally sucks

At this point I say it might be a good time to call Robbie and see if he has some time to come up for a visit...I would think that not only would this be a less expensive route than trailering the LX to a dealer but that he can figure out exactly what the problem is, and what the proper remedy is as well

Hey, if you have AAA+ you could have the LX towed to his place for free
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Closing out the thread. Robbie was able to pencil me in on his schedule and come check out the brakes yesterday. Long story short is that I was probably being overly cautious (being a noob) but better cautious I say than taking the dirt nap. The speculation was that maybe some of the pistons/lines/etc in the old system were not moving/flowing free, and that's what made the old brakes feel a bit more firm than how they do now. The old fluid was pretty nasty so not surprised if there was some partly sticking pistons.

During the bleeding prior to yesterday (which I was apparently doing correct) I found that the best way to get air out was to put the motive on with 15psi or so, and then leaving the bleed screw open, stomp down on the brake pedal, and then let up slowly. Seemed like that "burst" of pressure and fluid was able to move along more air than just the motive alone.

Test drive was successful so with any luck should be good to go for a while now.

Anyway, my Thanks all for the advice along the way, and thanks Robbie!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Phew, glad you got it!!

remember not to overtighten the bleed screws, overtightening them will damage them and won't allow them to seal. I tend to overtighten stuff so it has happened to me before....
82 FJ40