Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Help with lights and relays.

Hey guys, there comes a time when i have to throw my hands up and say "I don't know what I'm doing".

Im wiring up a set of four (4) lights using a 30/40 amp relay. The below image is what i currently have configured. Simple enough... everything works like it should except that the lights are as bright as a household flashlight.

I will admit I'm not great with electrical principals. And Im thinking of putting another relay in place? Im not exactly sure of the results but i feel like this is a good idea? I don't have any instructions to go off of so stop me if I'm wrong...lol

Haven't really had to wire four lights before so I'm pretty unfamiliar with this. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Relays are nothing more than a remote switch and once you understand them, quite simple. I can't see any photos in your post but I am very familiar with these, have diagrams even books on their use. I am in Thornton too. If I can help, pm me.
Mitch
Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm assuming that you are using a SPST relay. I can't see the photos that you've posted.

Not sure why your lights are dim, perhaps they are wired through the control or coil side of the relay.

here are some quick photos I found that might help.

depending on the style/size of light, you may want to add more relays to the circuit. Current will be additive, so if 1 light draws 10amps you will be pushing the limits of 1 relay....and so on

hope this helps
Attached Images

84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt
2002 4Runner 105000mi, bone stock
2013 Tundra, bone stock
1992 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart - deceased

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

If it's a standard Bosch-type cube as Jackson shows, you wire the switch to terminals 85 and 86. This is the relay coil and when energized it creates a magnetic field that causes the relay to operate. There is a spring that returns the relay contacts to their normal position when you switch off the coil.

You wire the intended high current load to a common terminal, which is number 30. There are then two switched contacts, one that gets the current when the coil is off called the normally closed (87a) and one that gets power when the coil is energized called the normally open (87).

For cars 99% of the time you typically you want to use the NO, terminal 87. In this way the relay acts in a way as a multiplier of the switch, no power when off, power when on.

Just a guess but the reason they are dim is you probably wired all the lights in series. They must be wired in parallel like Jackson's diagram shows. It's a common mistake.

You should have 4 red wires going to terminal 87 and 4 black wires to ground, one set from each light. You'll have a heavy red going from the battery to terminal 30 that will have 4 times the current present on each individual light. You can combine all the black wires if you wish but if you do make sure to use wire larger than any of the individual lights. It's probably best to ground each light right at the mounting bolt. You could also combine all the reds onto one wire to the relay, but again, make sure to upsize it.

You should have a hot (either always hot or ignition hot) going maybe to a dash switch and then to terminal 85. You'll also have a ground going to terminal 86. You can reverse these two terminals without damage.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

whoops one of the photos I tried to post didn't post. It's a apic of what is described above.

Are they all dim or are some more dim than others?
Attached Images

84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt
2002 4Runner 105000mi, bone stock
2013 Tundra, bone stock
1992 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart - deceased

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps8460 View Post
not Sure Why Your Lights Are Dim, Perhaps They Are Wired Through The Control Or Coil Side Of The Relay.
X2
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/

Tags
fog lights, lights, relay, wiring, wiring diagram