Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Angry AT&T ditches unlimited data plans

I kept my AT&T account when I moved here from the Silicon Valley area. The told me I should switch to VZW for better coverage, but I have had great service with my Treos and now my crackberry. I have heard all the stories about iPhone and iPad users having horrible 3G with AT&T, but I don't seem to have that trouble. Anyhooooo, FWIW, I just read on TechCrunch today that AT&T will no longer offer an unlimited data plan starting June 7th. Current subscribers will get to keep the plan so long as they do not lapse.

TechCrunch Link

Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Yeah, I better buy my iPad asap.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

I know SXSW was a big smack down last year, as the bandwidth choked them dead, and Silicon Valley is pretty congested too. But SXSW this year AT&T brought in infrastructure to handle it. Why would they kill a popular plan rather than build to accommodate more customers? :shakeshead: :shrugs:
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

guys - it's not just at&t. All carriers are getting rid of unlimited data. It was to get adoption. Houston, we have adoption, and then some. vzw & at&t are going to set data plans. Sprint probably will come in line as well, but not for a while. They are doing so poorly that they need something to differentiate themselves.

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good thing I already have my phone and unlimited plan. I'll be keeping it.

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 PM

My ipad is in the mail.... Wonder what plans I will be offered.. (BTW... My wife/brother/ and parents are awesome... 40th bday present!)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

seriously, and not just cause I work there, this is NO big deal. It's actually cheaper for most people. My wife is on a 1st gen iphone because she doesn't need the unlimited plan and the cost is too high. With the new plan, she can move to the 3g phone and keep the plan lower.

If you watch mobiTV, or a lot of video, or use video conferencing, well, it's a problem.

Most pda's are wifi too, and you can set your wifi to auto accept. Most people fail at this, or don't use wifi will in their own home or at hotspots, and it blows their usage.

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Lifted

I agree with beater, I have 4 email accounts linked to my iphone, use the internet constantly, and watch a few youtube videos a month and I don't come close to the 2g limit for the higher plan that will be offered. I have unlimited now and feel pretty happy I do, but I doubt I'll ever really need to use that much.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

But if none of their customers are close to maxing out a limited plan, why take away the unlimited plan? Whatever you end up with it's gonna be a rate hike for a lower service level.

It's like they give away the crack for the first month and then charge you for it going forward. That's a criminal's business model. Or are they afraid they have created a hungry hungry hippo who eventually will have an appetite beyond whay they can support? Oh wait, that is already the case. I can't stream the latest AI video clips or even, gawd forbid, some Flash animation or Javascript because although I have an unlimited plan, I have to share the infrastructure with everyone else. So build more for cryin out loud. You charge me $100 a month because you force me to have a voice plan when all I want is data, and I have a bazillion roll over minutes that I can't possibly use before they expire. Yet another criminal business model borrowed from the airline miles programs.

Stop overpaying execs and stakeholders and invest in some capital projects for a few more years.

so much for sleeping before breakfast...
Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Most pda's are wifi too, and you can set your wifi to auto accept. Most people fail at this, or don't use wifi will in their own home or at hotspots, and it blows their usage.
I love the wifi on my phone and I use it a lot. But the wifi radio is a bigger battery hog than the 3G radio is. That's not my carrier's fault, I know, it's a Blackberry thing I guess. The bluetooth brings the power suck too. With all my connections on and searching, well, let's just say I have invested in a few charging solutions as well.

Tell me when I can throw this eShackle away....please?

Wifi would make $en$e by employing voip calls if I wasn't armtwisted into buying a voice plan on top of my data plan.