Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait
You Rock, Kevin! That was very nice of you to stick it out and help Kevin get off the trail. We should have some sort of special award for you.

I will not go there. PLEASE do not give me credit for doing what was my responsibility! I'm not ready to talk about this right now. I guess I'm too old school still. When someone breaks on a trail you help them out. When someone in your club (team) is helping someone get off the trail others in that team (club) help by supporting. That is the way I learned to wheel, that is the way I DO wheel and consiquently that is what I expect from others I wheel with! I did have some great support from several folks whom I never had any doubts would be there for me. There is a reason I chose my spotter for that run and it was also refreshing to have Cheeseman ping me on the CB earlier and also Sharkbait later pinged me....thats what it's all about! We will talk about this and relearn some things that made Rising Sun the great club it is. It is us "Old Schoolers" responsibility to teach those following in our steps what really makes Rising Sun the club we are proud of!

Edited: Never meant to make anyone feel like they didn't help out.....not even the issue! I have no regrets and in fact I would do it all the same again!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 05-10-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Mmmm. Sorry to hear you didn't get the full support team. During my tool packing, I remember looking at my cordless drill and thinking, "Do I need to take this?" and deciding not to (and I brought three boxes of tools).
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

I know I tried real hard after I spoke with Kevin Saturday. Andre Shoumatoff had a large pattern knuckle, but no arm. The Llama had both knuckles intact after the roll-over, but it had some kind of funky hi-steer setup. Dead end. We asked all over both Spanish Trail and KOA, but it was tough. A lot of people had left or were leaving. If it had happened Thursday or Friday I'm sure there would have been more parts and tool resources available. It would be way cool if we could plan for some contingincies for situations like this. I know I may try and find some spare knuckles and hardware now, for myself, because of this.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Kevin, was the knuckle kit useful in the repair job?

Obviously Saturday was too late but Kevin Kuhn richly deserved the 8-ball. Glad to hear he made it home okay. And THANK YOU for helping him out. That was way above and beyond, but as you wrote, that's what we are about. I would have been happy to help out if it weren't for my own mechanical issues. I am looking at an engine rebuild right now, but fortunately Matt (Lewis) and I limped home under our own power.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
Kevin, was the knuckle kit useful in the repair job?

Obviously Saturday was too late but Kevin Kuhn richly deserved the 8-ball. Glad to hear he made it home okay. And THANK YOU for helping him out. That was way above and beyond, but as you wrote, that's what we are about. I would have been happy to help out if it weren't for my own mechanical issues. I am looking at an engine rebuild right now, but fortunately Matt (Lewis) and I limped home under our own power.

Yes, we did use it Jeff, THANK YOU! It will all be replaced, that I can promise!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
I don't think any RS member really broke did they?
fuel issues, electrical issues, clutch issues and a new alternator....

i don't think the 40 will ever see utah again
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Damn it, now I feel even worse, I knew I should have gone back up. I went around camp to find out if everything went ok before I left. The last I heard is the knuckle we found didn't work becasue the studs were 12mm but the pattern wasn't correct. Maybe a small pattern knuckle was drilled out for larger studs? Kim was heading back up with a drill to drill out the steering arm and that should have been it. I asked around in camp for your number Kevin because it didn't come across when you called and couldn't find it. Robbie's wife had it so I left her a message. We tried you on the CB on both channel 7 and 4. I wasn't sure what to do and I feel really bad about not going back up to check. If you felt let down by me, I won't let it happen again. I have been on the other end before and I know how it feels.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 05-10-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO
Damn it, now I feel even worse, I knew I should have gone back up. I went around camp to find out if everything went ok before I left. The last I heard is the knuckle we found didn't work becasue the studs were 12mm but the pattern wasn't correct. Maybe a small pattern knuckle was drilled out for larger studs? Kim was heading back up with a drill to drill out the steering arm and that should have been it. I asked around in camp for your number Kevin because it didn't come across when you called and couldn't find it. Robbie's wife had it so I left her a message. We tried you on the CB on both channel 7 and 4. I wasn't sure what to do and I feel really bad about not going back up to check. If you felt let down by me, I won't let it happen again. I have been on the other end before and I know how it feels.

I typed a huge response including play by play of Saturday. It didn't get posted and locked up my comp this morning when I tried to send it. Bummer! I will retype soon as I owe it to all after voicing my frustrations so vaguely. NO Mike, you did not let me down....in fact you went above and beyond as I knew you would! I have to get to work now but I will attempt later to clean up what I started. NO ONE LET ME DOWN personally! I will clarify later. Hopefully this posts.....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
Nathanial Miller on Wipeout
Is that a for sale sign in the window? Nathaniel, did you get your truck fixed and rolling smoothly? I kept my spare around all week, and felt bad when Dan called me as I was rolling over Vail pass Saturday afternoon saying that you needed one.

...time for that rear disk brake conversion
Old 05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
I typed a huge response including play by play of Saturday. It didn't get posted and locked up my comp this morning when I tried to send it. Bummer! I will retype soon as I owe it to all after voicing my frustrations so vaguely. NO Mike, you did not let me down....in fact you went above and beyond as I knew you would! I have to get to work now but I will attempt later to clean up what I started. NO ONE LET ME DOWN personally! I will clarify later. Hopefully this posts.....
Uncle Ben, talked with Ben(whome had the spare). Give me a call when you get a chance

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"