Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFJ40 View Post
Anybody else had good luck with Robbie doing work on your rig? I talked to him on the phone and he seems like a good guy.
Are you kidding? I'm like the Pied Piper leading my friends to him. I actually look forward to my motor wearing out so he can rebuild it. You need to go to bed tonight and thank your lucky stars we have such fantastic resources here in CO and at the head of the pack is this guy.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Yeah, you won't go wrong with Robbie. He won't try to replace parts that still have life in them, but he'll insist that you replace parts that are at the end of their duty cycle. When he's done working on your stuff, it will work well and will keep working for many months to come. His work is an excellent value.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Anybody else had good luck with Robbie doing work on your rig? I talked to him on the phone and he seems like a good guy.

Nakman - How many miles do you have on your rebuild? Was he able to get the project done on-time/on-budget?
Hi Matt,
Are you a member of TLCA? If so, open your last issue to the tech section & see who is the author. That should answer any questions about Robbie's skills & knowledge. He is the BOMB in every way. He has worked on or completely fixed my trucks & is absolutely awesome to work with in every way. When I broke my Troopy (Turbo 2H), i was more or less screwed becuase it was over my head & also an engine that basically doesn't exist in the USA, he not only fixed it all for me, but actually took the time to teach me how to do a bunch of different things that I didn't know before. So he basically fixed my truck more cheaply than I ever could have, with phenomenal quality of work, and also spent time eliminating future possible work by teaching me how to do things myself. So I can't say enough great things about him. In fact, I am going to send him an e-mail in a little bit to see if he is interested in fixing some other stuff for me that I can't do myself.

Best,
Abe
Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Rock Stacker

It sounds like there are quite a few folks that had a good experience with Robbie working on their rigs. That is very good to hear. My 40 is my baby and I need to trust whoever works on it. Thanks for all your replies and keep them coming.
I am very interested to hear from Robbie again. He is going to stop by my house next week for a quick visit to take a look at the motor and talk. I will post any news as it comes.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Hey Matt,

Besides jumping on the Robbie bandwagon (I've known him for a very long time and highly recommend him), I would suggest that since you have the valve cover off, simply check the adjustment of your valves. It could be as simple as your intake not opening on that cylinder because the adjustment loosened up. Always check the simple/easy stuff first!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:

Nakman - How many miles do you have on your rebuild? Was he able to get the project done on-time/on-budget?
Matt already been answered pretty well above, but since you asked me... yes he's super capable and very fair price-wise. You're talking to one of the best guys available

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default good luck? uh...yeah, totally.

Robbie did a full re-build on my 2f...with some 'improvements' I am so completely, totally, and utterly thrilled with the work Robbie did.

if you have any questions whatsoever, PM me...I'm happy to discuss the work done and how is awesome it is to work with Robbie.

my FJ60 is also my "baby" - the motor in it came from the FJ60 I learned to drive on. :-) I'm a little obsessive about my Cruiser and won't let anyone other than Robbie work on it.

(can you tell I'm pretty happy with the re-build?? ;-) )

Last edited by CardinalFJ60; 06-16-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: more props for Robbie.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Rock Stacker

Robbie stopped by the other day. That guy knows his stuff. It turns out the valve seat is to blame for #2 not having compression. Since I run propane he recommended that I rebuild the head with special seats and exhaust valves even if I source another motor to use.
I have looked at a couple of motors off craigslist and tried to find one that is “good”. They always seem ok until I look at the lifters. My current motor had a little pitting (worst one had 3 pin-tip sized dots). The last motor out of an 84 FJ60 looked like a 10 year old had been shooting it with a BB gun for years. How much pitting is too much? Robbie seemed concerned with the pitting on my motor and so far I haven’t been able to find a motor with no pits on the lifters. Maybe I should just use the current motor and get a new cam/lifters. What do you guys think? If I could gett 30-50K miles I would be happy.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thats an easy fix, especially if you do it at the same time you pull the head. You can buy a cam from Man-A-Fre with new lifters for about $200 and it will give you a little better performance than the stock cam.

My 74 FJ40 still has the stock cam in it and the lifter lobes are so rounded off it has no top end power. I'm going to be swapping the cam and lifters in it in the next few weeks.

One thing that will help slow down the wear on the new cam and lifters is to run a oil made for high friction engines. Nowadays the only way to get that is to run the oils specified for diesel engines. I run the 15w-40 diesel oil since it has the additives to minimize that type of wear.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Thats an easy fix, especially if you do it at the same time you pull the head. You can buy a cam from Man-A-Fre with new lifters for about $200 and it will give you a little better performance than the stock cam.

My 74 FJ40 still has the stock cam in it and the lifter lobes are so rounded off it has no top end power. I'm going to be swapping the cam and lifters in it in the next few weeks.

One thing that will help slow down the wear on the new cam and lifters is to run a oil made for high friction engines. Nowadays the only way to get that is to run the oils specified for diesel engines. I run the 15w-40 diesel oil since it has the additives to minimize that type of wear.
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting that cam from man-a-fre. They also recommended running ZDDP+ which is similar to your recommendation about running oil for diesel motors. Has the zinc in it.

Robbie had a project that is running a little long and can't get started on my motor until July 12th now. Right now I have my FJ40 in 100s of pieces. I can't wait to get started putting things back together. I will post some pics when things start to come together.