Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Any chance you tweaked the shaft and fractured it while trying to force it in when you were having dist seating issues?
Always a chance, but I don't recall an event that would have inflicted that level of trauma, i.e. hitting it sideways with the BFH while it was partially in.

If the camshaft is moving, wouldn't there be other symptoms that would be occurring? I can't afford a new dizzy for each time I put the FJ40 on the freeway.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think the difficulty you had putting the thing in indicates that something was wrong with it on install. Maybe the shaft was bent and that was preventing it from seating easily. It still has a bunch of usable parts on it so keep it for spares. I assume the old dizzy dropped in much easier than the later model one did. If its running well now, I doubt there is a problem with the cam shaft.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I am bumping this back up as I broke the shaft on another big cap distributor.

After the first shaft snapped, I put in and have been running my small cap electronic distributor. The truck has been running great and not having any issues. I've put on over 1k miles in driving.

Last Friday night, I was helping a Air Randy who needs to send his DUI distributor in for service, get his FJ40 running. He was able to get a Toyota big cap distributor, but does not have the dented side cover - so we put my small cap into his truck and the big cap into my truck. Putting the big cap into my truck took "he man strength" to stab, and within 60 miles the distributor shaft snapped. Because of the issue with stabbing the big cap distributor and the small cap goes right in, we took a micrometer to both to see if there were physical differences; the diameters of distributor shafts, gear and bottom blade were the same and I am stumped.

I believe there is an issue with the gear on the camshaft which makes it difficult to stab the distributor and because the mount for the big cap distributor is part of the distributor body when locked in place there is stress placed on the shaft. I believe because the small cap distributor uses a bracket, the stress is still there but because of the bracket it is not enough to cause the shaft to snap - yet. What other issue could be contributing/causing this?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Ricardo,

There is some additional info we need to share that could be critical clues:

1-The small cap distributor Ricardo has that drops right into the motor and has worked fine for 1,000 miles without issue, came with the motor when he bought it.

2-We got another small cap distributor yesterday and tried to install it into Ricardo's engine since his dizzy was in my truck. It went in just as hard as the big cap did, we would have had to whack it with a hammer to get it to drop in. We installed it into my truck and it dropped in effortlessly, we took Ricardo's out of my truck and it dropped right in to his engine. Weird.

I'm beginning to think there is a difference in the drive gear on the small cap unit that drops easily into Ricardo's truck. For whatever reason it matches up with the cam drive gear in his truck. However, if that was the case, you would thing Ricardo's small cap distributor wouldn't drop in easily into my truck?????
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Have you mic'd the major diameters on both the fitting and not fitting gears? You should check the minor diameters too but that's hard without the right mic. The gear pitch should be alright unless something really weird is afoot, so the only other thing would be the gear engagement distance from top/bottom of the shaft. Does the one that fits have any shaft play? How does the width of the flat at the bottom of the diz shaft compare between the two?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Chinese built aftermarket camshaft?
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
Have you mic'd the major diameters on both the fitting and not fitting gears? You should check the minor diameters too but that's hard without the right mic. The gear pitch should be alright unless something really weird is afoot, so the only other thing would be the gear engagement distance from top/bottom of the shaft. Does the one that fits have any shaft play? How does the width of the flat at the bottom of the diz shaft compare between the two?
Randy may be able to address what we put the micrometer on.

The truck is with my son at work so it may be tomorrow before I can pull the distributor and check for any shaft play - but that could also account for why the small cap shaft has not been strained enough to snap.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Chinese built aftermarket camshaft?
I don't know much of the history of the engine it.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM

IIRC the original cam had a regrind. It for sure was not a cheap knock off replacement.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

I pulled the distributor last night and there is some play in the shaft. This is why it goes into the engine easily and likely why it's shaft has not snapped.

While it was out, I looked around to see if I could determine what is not lined up. Using the snapped end of the shaft, I know the blade slips into the oil pump with no binding. Using a different distributor, I know the binding starts when the gears begin mesh, just after the o-ring starts to go into the block. I removed the o-ring and there was no change. I did not find the cause for the alignment issue.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941