Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Jury duty in Douglas county

Well they picked my number and here I sit waiting for a trail.

You would figure that one of the richest counties in the country could provide free Wifi in their waiting room but no.

So I have tried to figure out how to get out of it but then I thought, why not. Why not sit their and see our justice system at work. I would not mind being a witness to a short trail just to see it live and in person.

I will have to see what adventure awaits me. If I get picked and sat as a juror. We'll keep this updated as I can, this could be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post

So I have tried to figure out how to get out of it.
Just rock back and forth in your chair chanting crazy stuff! That will get you moved out of there real quick..............

97 LX450

Last edited by FJBRADY; 06-22-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did it last year. I also thought you could answer something that will make them throw you out, but that does not really work. Seems like if you are against something, the other party might want you. Just do it. It was a very rewarding experience, yet a bad case about sexual molestation by a person in authority on a minor. It was very good to see how the system work and I felt good for doing it.

What did piss me off was that the judge excused someone because the brought an interpreter and they said they did not understand English very well. Well, I am a naturalized citizen and one of the requirements is that you should be able to read, speak and write English. After your swearing in ceremony for becoming a citizen they stress that one of your civil duties is to do jury duty when called. Seems like that is BS since you can be excused if you can not speak the language.

I felt that if I had to spend 4 days there, they should stick those people in an English class for 4 days.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Well they picked my number and here I sit waiting for a trail.
I'm assuming you mean Trial.

However, when I'm bored, I often sit thinking about trails too. So maybe you didn't.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Trail Ready

Default Fija

While you're waiting, go to www.fija.org, the web site for the Fully Informed Jury Association. Lots of interesting reading on our rights and power as jurors.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well Christo we must have the same luck. I have a similar trial, except it was an online deal. It took a while to pick the jury, the prosecutor is trying to be our friend and the defense attorney is being pretty straight forward for now.

I do know one thing for sure, the chairs are really uncomfortable, really uncomfortable.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow, the meat of the trial.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I used to get picked all the time. When I stopped getting speeding tickets, the jury summons stopped as well. Could be a coincidence but I'm convinced.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

So far it is really scary and bad especially for the parents on the jury. I have a seat on the far side bottom so I see the other jurors and the court folk. some of the stuff they have used as evidence is very disturbing.

I really feel for parents of daughters and sons for that matter. I am just glad a DC Sheriff officer was on the other side of the computer.

One more day and we should be done..........

Quote:

TLCA #6136