Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Here you go Brent, this would solve all of your problems in a single motion.. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1799097633.html

edit: I had a tough time getting the Geolanders I put on what's now my brother's 4runner to balance.. those rims are finicky IMO, and the tires required a bunch of weights on them. There are other solid options above though, and hey if you want to mount up the Maxxis Bighorns for a week or so just come on over and we can swap, they should bolt right up. They're probably the loudest tire of any that have been suggested so far, fwiw.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
Another vote against BFG AT's. They are great until you know better. Kind of like first girlfriends.

I'd look hard at those Duratracs. Nitto Terra Grappler, too.
No. They are just plain great.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow....lots of great info from everyone. Thank you.

I was checking out the Durtrac and the Grappler, both seem to have aggressive tread which i like. But I wasn't sure on the highway handling on either. I've read the Durtrac's can feel a little...rollie on the highway but others say they're great as well.

Thanks Tim, I just need to win lotto!
TLCA#20535
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
Another vote against BFG AT's.
That might be true, but I'll never know until companies besides BFG bother to make non-bias ply tires in a useful size...33x9.50x15 or 33x10.50x15. Until then gotta stick with the ugly sister I suppose. In any case, they've always been my go-to tires. Maybe it's a size and weight thing, the BFG AT in 33x9.50 and 33x10.50 are 'C' load rated tires and at ~35psi they seem to match well with a 4,000 lbs Hilux I guess. Other than real snow tires I have always found the 33x9.50 size about as good on snowy pavement as any general purpose tire.

Edit to add: Noticing that people with Hiluxes and Tacos love ATs and Cruisers don't. Shrug, just pointing it out.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudo4 View Post
Wow....lots of great info from everyone. Thank you.

I was checking out the Durtrac and the Grappler, both seem to have aggressive tread which i like. But I wasn't sure on the highway handling on either. I've read the Durtrac's can feel a little...rollie on the highway but others say they're great as well.
Not one of your options, but FWIW we had Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO tires on the 4Runner and absolutely hated them. Loud (nearly as loud as the BFG MTs on my truck now), terrible, just terrible, on wet pavement in rain or snow. Had to sell the 4Runner before we put many miles on them, so can't say how they wore.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, that's good info on the Dueler's I'll steer clear of those.
TLCA#20535
Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudo4 View Post
Thanks, that's good info on the Dueler's I'll steer clear of those.
Say, did you make many of the Churchill Cup matches? The division 3 team that my buddy came to town with beat Cedar Rapids to get into the big match but lost to OMBAC in the finals. Still a good weekend, though!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I wimped due to the rain on that Sunday. Talk about a fair weather fan. I'll wait til it shows up on the fox sports channel then record the USA vs. England. I've stayed away for hearing the scores so far. I'm glad someone got out to see some awesome rugby though.
TLCA#20535
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Not one of your options, but FWIW we had Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO tires on the 4Runner and absolutely hated them. Loud (nearly as loud as the BFG MTs on my truck now), terrible, just terrible, on wet pavement in rain or snow. Had to sell the 4Runner before we put many miles on them, so can't say how they wore.
Interesting...I had the Revos on my Durango and loved them. Quiet, and did well in all conditions and were absolutely awesome when compared to the OEM Wrangler RSA tires that were on before them which were scary.

I think your point to tires on different vehicles and differences of opinion is spot on. If you're looking for a tire for an 80 talk with 80 series owners. If you're looking for a tire for a 4Runner, talk with 4Runner owners etc. I'm a believer in the same tire on different vehicles can net different "opinions" on said tire.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 06-23-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Seems like a very valid point Jeff.
TLCA#20535