Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Any Idea what year ford it came off of?

I can do some digging on the innerweb and probably find it so no big deal if not..
82 FJ40
Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM

If you have a port injected motor make sure you don't get a pump off of a TBI car. TBI runs half the pressure of a port injected system.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
If you have a port injected motor make sure you don't get a pump off of a TBI car. TBI runs half the pressure of a port injected system.
copy that.

I may be having issues due to the increased flow and pressure requirements of my motor. It is rated at 300hp and runs 60psi. I have been running walbro 225lph inline pumps for a few years now, they just don't seem to last very long.
82 FJ40
Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Any Idea what year ford it came off of?

I can do some digging on the innerweb and probably find it so no big deal if not..
No clue as it was installed by the PO. Just know it probably put out 100psi or so and had to be regulated back as Pro Injection only needs like 15psi IIRC. I bought the 40 in 1998 so search older than that.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 PM

At 6000 ft above sea level a 300HP motor only puts out 200HP or so on a warm day. I'd say a 225 LPH pump is not going to be taxed on volume and they are all designed to run at high pressure, but the heat does kill them off early. I've tried many different brands of inline pumps on many applications over the years and never seen one last a year.

I also hear the Wabro's are widely counterfeited, so you may be getting cheesy Chinese knock-off's. I run a spare pump from my C4 Corvette in my tank. I've never seen one of them fail yet. The C4's LT1 was port injected and also rated at 300HP at the crank. The C4/LT1 (92-95) pump is quite small in diameter, and comes on a stalk with the fuel sender. It might be quite easy to retrofit one to your tank.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Seeing this post i had a pump go today on the truck. Rather than taking the tank down is it possible to just plump and pump in the line out side of the tank?

Oh and what a day it was after it died on the tollroad. Any suggestions would be great. thanks.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default check valve

Hey Marco can you put a check valve in the line so the fuel does not drain back into the tank? Also the in-line pumps like to push fuel so the closer it is to the tank the better you are and the longer they will last.
As to what corbet was saying the Mustangs in the 80's had two pumps in their fuel system a low pressure in the tank and an external high pressure pump. Some of the euro cars are this way also.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCreeper View Post
Seeing this post i had a pump go today on the truck. Rather than taking the tank down is it possible to just plump and pump in the line out side of the tank?

Oh and what a day it was after it died on the tollroad. Any suggestions would be great. thanks.
Kenny you should fix your fuel pump the right way. What kind of car/truck is it? Most cars only take a few hours to drop the tanks and some(but very few) even have panels to access the pumps.
If the tank is full siphon if possible or drop it with some help and put it back up empty.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Art,

Its a 02 gmc 1500 HD. I know i should do it right. just going to be a long night. Looks like i need to get the ID tag info to get the right pump. Not sure why because when i went to get a price all the pumps had the same part number. pretty confusing. i just want to make sure i get the right one so i wont be running around all weekend trying to get this thing running. So tonight i will see if i can get it down and go from there. Hopefully wont be to hard but with it being so old i am bound to run into something. Thanks for the info.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

In-line high pressure pumps dont last. They get hot! In tank pumps actually leak a bit of gas which keeps them cool. I have seen some ingenious in-line sumps made that allow the use of an in-tank pump to work in a in-line set up. The best way to do things right when doing a EFI conversion into a carbed donor is to mod the tank so the factory type in tank pump matches the duty cycle of the injectors. This link is a cool option Marco! Solves a few problems. Snoop around for some fuel safe bulk head fittings and plumb your in-tank pump into you stock fuel line set up!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior