Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Speaking of TIRES and now tickets..

I was just up at Harbor Freight and as I was leaving and climbing into my truck, a guy came up and asked me if I had received a ticket yet for having tires that stick out beyond my fender flairs. I replied that I have not at which point he stated that his son had just received one. So I asked him if it was in Jeffco, or which jurisdiction? He said that it was in Jeffco... Has anyone else received one of these tickets yet? Does anyone know more about this and can verify that they are indeed giving tickets for this? I know all the jurisdictions are hurting for money but this is ridiculous.. Oh, by the way he said that the reasoning for this is because the tires will throw more rocks into other cars. Seems to me that the only car that gets more rocks is my own when I am wheeling..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

he did something to piss off a cop probably.
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

i would second the pissing off the cop.. or possible he kid is 16 and hes just throwing the book at him.. as large of a 4wheeling community that resides in CO i doubt its illeagle, and if it is, its problly never enforced.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's illegal in Denver (and, I think, Greenwood Village), but there is no statewide statute. There's no way to find out now, but the kid's ticket should have the specific offense written on it.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Mark is correct, it is illegal. I got a ticket for that reason a long time ago. Do not PO the cop, he just pulled me over and wrote the ticket.

BTW you will throw more rocks at other cars plus oncoming traffic, DAMHIK. With the current affairs of all the city's coffers I would not doubt it that the DA's are looking up all the infractions they can and sending them to the police departments to enforce, maybe lifts are next???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tom, was your ticket in Denver?

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

nope Boulder and one in Cherry Creek, they really did not like my old truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Got pulled over years ago in my '82 pickup and the cop said he could write me up for the oversized tires as well...In the end he didn't...I guess he figured the speeding ticket of 72mph in a 55mph zone was enough - I didn't even know my truck could go that fast - That's when I learned the hard way about bigger tires and inaccurate speedometers...Truck said I was only doing 60mph, honest
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can always ask for the stature to be shown to you. I have done this several times when I have time to waste. If they do not like it, ask for a supervisor to come to the stop. I have done this as well.
I have been pulled over in colorado for lights being too bright(cop on a fishing trip), license plate too high(not illegal, cop on a fishing trip), license plate with no light(illegal). Never given tickets for this, but some conversations go on longer if I do not feel like the ticket is legal.
You may also want to see if this state requires mud flaps(I think it does). Yes the state also does not want tire out side the wheel well. So I think this is a state law, not just local law. I could be wrong.
Yes they are hurting and the revenue man is writing more unjust(meaning the laws my be on the books, but unjust in the sense they are laws any how) tickets these days.
Waiting to see the law man's response
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

You can ask the officer to show you the statute, or the radar reading or whatever, but the legal precedent was set long ago that he does not have to show any of that to you. It's a matter of safety for both of you. None of the evidence or justifications needs to be presented until you go to trial. If that tactic worked for you in the past it must have been with inexperienced officers.

There is a state law that requires you to have mudflaps, but no state law about tires sticking out of fenders. There is a generic "altered suspension" law still on the books. It was deemed unconstitutional by the legislature as being too vague, but since it's on the books you could still get a ticket for it but if you contest it it will be dismissed.

The bigger concern is city ordinances. I know Denver has one about tires sticking out but I've never bothered to look it up to see exacly what is or isn't considered legal. The story behind it is a Denver City Council woman's kid's car got his windshield broken by a vehicle in front of him. She got all spun up and eventually got a city ordinance passed making it a traffic offense and the Denver cops do seem to take it serious.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang