Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Uh, what? I don't understand any of what is going on there. Who is Backwoods Goop and Tranny Frank, and why do people care so much about the grease that goes in their birfs?
Took me a while to get up to speed, too. I rarely read IH8MUD. Apparently the dude is suggesting to replace the grease in the knuckles with something less viscous. This might be a valid problem in an 80 series that is spinning all the time. I mean in IFS trucks the lube Toyota includes with the CV rebuild kits does seem thinner (it comes in glorified toothpaste tubes fer goodness sakes) than what I remember using in knuckle rebuilds. But being that there are good rubber boots to seal it in it does not weep out. I suppose it's a problem if you think that 40s and 60s with decades old axles somehow constitutes a 'flawed' design or maintenance schedule. Now in the full time 4WD 80 series, maybe there's a legit question since their Birfs do wear out in normal operation. Personally on the old junk we have I think Toyota proved they mostly did things right and so I follow the Mama Ship Plan (IOW, the FSM) with rare exception to known issues.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well this guy is suggesting that Toyota ran a recall on all solid axles truck in the past and switched them out here in the USA( OK os his style of grease was in land crusiers and truck in Japan and sent to the USA and the grease was switch in). All this was secret.
He is interested in one thing only( IMHO) to sell this Backwoods goop. He quotes old jeep manuals, Dana manuals, train manuals. But has no Toyota information to back it up(says this is all secret and mistakes were made in the service manuals). He avoids questions at time, only give information he want to push down peoples throat. All under the guize of wanting to do the right thing for our Toyota Trucks.
He blames the upper knuckle bearing for failing, but discounts that the lower bearing wears faster(at least what I have seen). The big failures are when the axle is not service on Toyota schedule and wear is greater than the bearing can handle, then all sh*t breaks loose.
Anyhow I have talked to one Oldtimer that started back in the late seventys wrenching on Toyota's and he said there was never a secret recall. Anyhow, Take this guy with a big pile of Salt. maybe he can provide usefull information in the future when he test this stuff more.
It is incompatable with Lithum based greases, it will mess up the wheel bearing grease the FSM requires you to run. His suggestion when ask about this, Run his #0 based lube in the wheel bearings. So Toyota is wrong in two areas.
Anyhow this in not all I know, but hope this information I know about this helps you.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Pfft.

Well thats pretty funny. Sounds like all the other internet "experts" out there. Best thing that can happen is for everyone to stop paying attention to him.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Sounds like all the other internet "experts" out there.
Hmmm, Robbie, 50 years of Toyota truck history or some random Internet guy. Hard choice who to trust, eh?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

For some reason it is hard not to get wrapped up in his arguments.

He seems like a total nut though. I mean none of his arguments even begin to make sense.
Robbie, you seem to have spent quite a bit of time corresponding with him, hopefully you got something out of it.
82 FJ40
Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Most of the info this guys spews is based on the idea that Toyota is wrong and needs to be using what the domestic manifactures were using at the time. Which = leaking knuckles. Toyota (I believe) went to a #2 grease for a reason, longer intervals between fills and to keep the knuckles cleaner.
How many Rovers do you see with leaking knuckles? What he is proposing is using something similar to the Rover goop that is installed in there knuckles.
While it works and works well for Rover. I do not want a leaking mess at my knuckles. This soduim based grease does not have good water repellance, but will pull water away from metal(according to Frank).
Which if it gets through the spindle to the wheel bearing it will destroy the grease and take out wheel bearings. Becasue it does not play nice with Lithium based greases. So Toyota would be wrong to use it recommend greases twice, not just once.
The biggest thing I do not like is the conspirecy theory that Toyota is knownly screwing people in it Tech manuals and has for 60 years.
The worst part Marco, it he has some newbies believing him on some other forums. Mostly because they are new to working on there own junk.
Yes, I have a different prespective on Lubes now. some more information to look at and make choices about.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Speaking of grease...

I don't see the backwoods goop in the test but the others tested are pretty interesting.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
The worst part Marco, it he has some newbies believing him on some other forums. Mostly because they are new to working on there own junk.
Thats kinda scarry Being a n00b myself, I try and stick with 2 principles when it comes to that kind of stuff.
  1. Go with what the manual recommends. Without a lot of experience or knowledge on my end to back up some new-fangled idea, its better to stick with what was published as the "tested" way in the FSM
  2. Type/brand of grease/oil/etc doesn't matter nearly as much as just making sure there IS grease/oil/etc present. Can't count the # of posts on mud where its debated what brand is better than others. While I'm sure one brand IS better, it's a moot point if your driving around without grease in your knuckles trying to figure out which is the best.

Rule #2 assumes of course that you follow rule #1.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Seems like he is just enjoying ruffling people's feathers. Odd that he's done it on so many boards.
82 FJ40
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

I truly think he wants to make money off his product that is made in Brazil(I believe I saw this in a post on the thread) or India. Is not used on any USA made car or truck.
If he could get people to buy into it and he is the exclusive reseller of the stuff. Think how money he could make. But first he has to get people to buy in. He is not very successful at it right now.
I got a special treat, I got to read the 9 pages of the 1st thread he was banned from Twice. Interesting to say the least.
Still has not learned to many manors or how to treat people professionally.
We will see if he comes back.
Closed Thread