Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh33 View Post
bummer Ricardo. If It's Not Running Hot Or Blowing Smoke, I Would Be Tempted To Just Flush The Cooling System And Drain The Oil And Refill, Then Drive It Some More And Check To See If It's Discolored Again. Easy To Do Before Pulling The Head.
X2!

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
What would I be listening for to see if two cylinders are communicating with each other?
After thinking about this more, I'm pretty sure that it isn't listening with my ears but rather "hearing" what the compression numbers say, i.e. are two adjacent cylinders showing lower readings than the rest.
TLCA #18941
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

It is, but at the same time as you are doing the compression test, if you hear air coming out of a adjacent cylinder(like a pop). And the numbers are low between the these two cylinders, you have a problem.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

I re-did the timing cover gasket yesterday evening. Picked the radiator up from the shop today; I had them add an extended drain tube. Took the 40 around the block until it warmed up and then did a compression test.

Doh - when doing the compression test, I did not remove ll the plugs. I've deleted the numbers from this post (they are still in the quote UB did last night) and will do the compression test again tonight. Yes, I did remember to open the throttle on each cylinder. Stand by...
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 07-02-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I re-did the timing cover gasket yesterday evening. Picked the radiator up from the shop today; I had them add an extended drain tube. Took the 40 around the block until it warmed up and then did a compression test. The numbers are:

Cylinder #1 - 130
Cylinder #2 - 126
Cylinder #3 - 129
Cylinder #4 - 125
Cylinder #5 - 115
Cylinder #6 - 140

To my understanding, these should all be within 10% of each other. I'm not sure how to interpret the delta between #5 and #6. I listened, but could not hear (not really sure I would have known if I had heard - didn't hear a "pop") any chatter between the cylinders.

For those with more experience in interpreting compression numbers, what do you make of the above figures and my dirty coolant? Does the head need to come off to see what is going on?

While it seems to drive ok, is it ill-advisable to run it all summer and then pull the head in the fall?

The numbers are all over the board but isn't this a fresh rebuild? If so drive that sucker and don't baby it. Put some hours on it and recheck.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
The numbers are all over the board but isn't this a fresh rebuild? If so drive that sucker and don't baby it. Put some hours on it and recheck.
Not a fresh rebuild, it is a "rebuilt many years ago, very low miles on the rebuild" engine. I've put more than 10 and less than 20 hours on it.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
X2. Drive it!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

We did the compression check (with all the plugs removed) this evening and the numbers are:
Cylinder #1 135
Cylinder #2 133
Cylinder #3 139
Cylinder #4 132
Cylinder #5 126
Cylinder #6 145

I also warmed the truck up with the radiator cap off and looked for bubbles. There was the occasional swirl and from time to time what may be small bubbles. I've not ever seen the bubbles that indicate combustion gases. As the truck warmed up the coolant started to rise out the top so I put the cap back on.

I took the old coolant to disposal and when it was pouring out of the bucket it was not as dark as it looked in the picture and it had a green tint to it. The bottom of the bucket had some reddish brown residue, not much. Perhaps it is stuff from inside the block.

I'm going to flush the cooling system, i.e. a few cycles of drain the radiator, fill with distilled water and run it to clear it out and run it for a while and keep an eye on things.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

You have everything to gain by doing that and nothing to lose. If the coolant keeps getting oil in it then move on to the next item.

I'm assuming your compression check number were taken warm and with the throttle held open? I would say the numbers look pretty good, although it is a little suspicious that #5 is a little low and #6 is high. It is very common to have the head gasket leak through the land between cylinders 5 & 6. That was the problem when I pulled the head on my motor when I had 0 psi in cylinder 5.

You could be leaking compression from 5 in to 6. Do you have a fitting so you can inject compressed air into the cylinders? Put #5 at TDC and hook your compressor to it (keep your hands clear, it can make the engine move a little) once the compressor stops running and it gets quiet, listen near the #6 spark plug hole and the intake/exhaust manifold to see if you can hear air hissing. Usually you get an adaptor with your compression tester that you can screw a 1/4" air fitting into in order to inject air in the cylinder, or I have one you can borrow.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I'm assuming your compression check number were taken warm and with the throttle held open?
Yes, the engine was up to operating temperature and the throttle full to the floor on each cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Do you have a fitting so you can inject compressed air into the cylinders? ... Usually you get an adaptor with your compression tester that you can screw a 1/4" air fitting into in order to inject air in the cylinder, or I have one you can borrow.
I don't have a fitting, but have been thinking about doing this as well.
TLCA #18941