Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default New Steering Fab- criticism welcome

So, in my ongoing effort that will no doubt be described by some as polishing a turd, I am building some new stuff for my steering.

First up was an idler arm from total chaos. Very nice unit, will have to notch the frame for it to clear. Haven't gotten there yet.

This weekend I bent a tie rod, which was annoying and lit a fire to get me going on a project I've had laying around for some time.

Essentially, the challenge is, the tie rods on IFS cannot be straight, or the steering binds. Thus, as you will see in the stock units, there is a bend.

So, here is what I've concocted.

First up, I took two pieces of 1/4" wall DOM, 1.5" OD and welded them as so. I then took a 3/4" x 16 grade 8 bolt, and cut off the head and shoulder some. I then took a piece of 1/8" Wall 1" od tube, and cut it to size. I drilled holes in the sides, and then put the bolt in, welded top and bottom, and two rosettes on the sides. I then smoothed it out with a grinder, and, after drilling two holes in the 1.5" tube, I slid the bolt and 1" tube inside, and again, welded top, bottom, and rosettes on the sides. This was the result:

I then reasoned that this would not be strong enough. I then put a front plate of 3/16" on the front, and welded to both tubes, then two plates top and bottom, again welded on all sides to both tubes, and then an end cap, just to keep out water. I then welded a 23mm RH thread insert into the other end and ground it to clean it up.

Lastly, I made an adjuster sleeve with a 3/4" x 16 RH thread insert on one end, and a 23mm LH thread insert on the other.

As you can see from the assembled pics, I'm using FJ-80 rod ends in both sides that attach to the existing steering.

NOTE: Nothing is threaded on all the way. Obviously, not nearly that much thread will be sticking out.

Thoughts? Areas that look bad? Not a ton I can do about it now, but we'll see.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

The obvious weak link to my eyes will be the 3/4" threaded bolt. It all looks beefy but that looks to be the same size as what bent before.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

The first pic scared me but even before I scrolled the screen on my Droid I thought 'Give Isaac 30 seconds & it will be hell for stout '. Sho'nuff.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

When will frankstein come alive?
I agree with UB, that center section is still a week link, but if it always moves that in a straight line, then all should be OK. Will it fit where it is designed to fit? and move the wheel back and forth with out binding?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Well, I dunno.

The pic above does not quite show things as they will be. It is designed to have very little thread showing when it is the proper length. As it is shown in the picture, both my new one, and the stock one are WAY too long. I just stuck them together to show it, and didn't feel like running the threads all the way in.

Robbie, It sort of moves in a straight line. It is always being pushed or pulled on along the axis, however, because of the bend, I imagine there will be some side load, though I don't know how much. It will also move up and down as the suspension cycles.

Anyway, I haven't gotten it on the truck to check clearance yet because it was way, way too hot last night to handle without channel locks and vise grips. We'll see.

I am concerned about the 3/4" bolt now. I dunno if it makes a difference that most of the threaded bolt will be inside the adjuster or not?

Generation Dead
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Interesting, sooner or later there will be no stock parts on your rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:

I am concerned about the 3/4" bolt now. I dunno if it makes a difference that most of the threaded bolt will be inside the adjuster or not?
Sorry to be a critic Isaac! It just seems that that smaller (not small) 3/4" threaded section is in the exact same place that the original rods bent and close to the same size.

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

why did you build it with the bolt in the middle? I'd remove that and you still have adjustability with the length of the rod.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Sorry to be a critic Isaac! It just seems that that smaller (not small) 3/4" threaded section is in the exact same place that the original rods bent and close to the same size.
You have nothing to be sorry about. I want feedback good and bad.

I am concerned about it. One thing is that the original bent at the bend in the tie rod, and carried through to the threaded area, at least thats what it looks like to me. I'll snap a pic tonight.

However, I may start over and use something like 7/8 hardware. We'll see.

Generation Dead
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
why did you build it with the bolt in the middle? I'd remove that and you still have adjustability with the length of the rod.
Sorry wes, I'm not following you there. What do you mean by "in the middle" and I don't understand which part you'd remove?

Generation Dead