Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Kevin, are you saying Bikeman is correct in that its sway bars then shocks on both ends? Or ar the radius arms the limiting factor in the front?
Both! The front radius arms bind due to the 4 mounting points on two arms thus limiting the opposing travel arcs. The rear sway bar definatly does it's job and adds substantial resistance to opposing arcs of the rear wheel and the shocks will stop droop a few degrees prior to the coil springs unseating. Many guys use Bilstien shocks that will add another 1+" droop over the OME's. The sway bars on an 80 are very well balanced into the system and off-roading is not adversely affected by their attachment. If you're one of those guy's who have to stretch out on an RTI ramp then yes, the sway bars will increase numbers if removed.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

there are many factors here. radius arm bushing flex is a large portion of it, as well as geometery. also balance front to rear plays as well. If the front doesn't force the rear and vice versa, you will have issues.

I could max out 12" shocks easy on my 80.

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ok...all this has me wondering what is the true purpose of bump stops then?

I understand that all of the other things mentioned (control arms, sway bars, etc.) will limit axle articulation. Given that, are the bump stops' primary purpose to limit damage should you exceed the other components "limits" during say a hard hit?

If I install bump stops that sit 1" off my axles then they would limit articulation well before anything else did right? If the front right can only go up 1" then the left front can't drop any further than the opposite bump stop would allow it to given that the axle is solid.

So is the goal to have bump stops that are right at, or just beyond, the limits of everything else?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Ok...all this has me wondering what is the true purpose of bump stops then?

I understand that all of the other things mentioned (control arms, sway bars, etc.) will limit axle articulation. Given that, are the bump stops' primary purpose to limit damage should you exceed the other components "limits" during say a hard hit?

If I install bump stops that sit 1" off my axles then they would limit articulation well before anything else did right? If the front right can only go up 1" then the left front can't drop any further than the opposite bump stop would allow it to given that the axle is solid.

So is the goal to have bump stops that are right at, or just beyond, the limits of everything else?
Bump stops only limit compression. Corbets question was what limits downtravel (droop).
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Bump stops only limit compression. Corbets question was what limits downtravel (droop).
Understood...But it just makes sense to me that with a SA setup, what limits compression/up-travel on one end will also limit down-travel on the opposite end...I'm guessing that given bump stop placement, maybe it isn't an "even" limiting factor (i.e. 5" of up-travel doesn't translate into 5" of down-travel on the other end)...

Probably a good thing I don't design suspensions
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

your thoughts would be accurate if it were a fixed pivot system. due to the binding nature of the components and the 4/6 point mounting of the radius arms.

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good discussion going.

But removing articulation from the equation what stops droop or drop independent of articulatioin. For example. Up on a shop lift what stops the axle from dropping.

Seems to me sway bars, based on past posts.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Good discussion going.

But removing articulation from the equation what stops droop or drop independent of articulatioin. For example. Up on a shop lift what stops the axle from dropping.

Seems to me sway bars, based on past posts.
On a hoist it is the shocks that limit the drop.
When the axle drops straight down the sway bar would have very little impact, they ae really designed to maintian a more level stance when cornering and preventing excessive body roll during evasive manuevers. The limiting effects on articulation occur when the axle ends move in opposite directions.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Good discussion going.
x2. I was wondering this myself. So the shocks must be fairly stout in construction then to be able to lift a wheel on a fully loaded truck then?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

So where I am going with this....

I am getting ready to install a 2" lift in Aug. I have made arrangements to aquire the Iron Man lift given out during the CM10 raffle dinner. I know what some of you may be thinking. Hell must be freezing over Corbet is lifting his truck

So along with the 2" lift I will be moving up to 35/315 tires. So a pair of bump stop drops will also be required. This will take away some of my up travel so my thoughts are to possibly add some spacers on top of the springs to regain some of the travel by spacing down the suspension a little. Now I need to worry a little about the max length of the shocks. Iron Man says the shocks are good for 3" of lift. So I'm thinking I'm good but wanted a stronger understanding of what is going to limit the bottom end of the 80's suspension travel.

Continue discussion...
2004 Starcraft 10RT