Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Default New welder

Just picked this up after shopping for a couple of months. Miller XMT304 300 amp multi process with an S22a Wire feeder and air cooled gun. I already had the water cooled gun and a spool gun to go with it. Now I just need to make a cart to hold everything.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

very nice
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice machine! The spool guns make quick work with aluminum, and that machine can handle it!
82 FJ40
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 PM

I'm hoping I can master the spray transfer welds with a spool gun and drop the water cooled TIG process for AL altogether. It has always been a royal PITA. Loose coolant flow for a few minutes, and the TIG power cable just melts down. Not to mention how much I love welding w/ a 220 VAC machine and discovering I'm standing in a puddle of water.

My hope is I can master MIG on AL, do only occasional TIG on steel and do all of it using air cooled processes.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've migged Al afew times and once you have it setup it works pretty easily. I agree that setting the TIG on nuclear to do Al can be annoying... especially for those of us with air cooled torches.

I honestly only TIG the small steel stuff now, I almost always use my mig if I can. That;s a sweet rig though, I wish I could run 300 amps for aluminum.. it seems like a nice number. My machine goes to 225 and that's barely enough for the thicker stuff.
82 FJ40
Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
I'm hoping I can master the spray transfer welds with a spool gun and drop the water cooled TIG process for AL altogether. It has always been a royal PITA. Loose coolant flow for a few minutes, and the TIG power cable just melts down. Not to mention how much I love welding w/ a 220 VAC machine and discovering I'm standing in a puddle of water.

My hope is I can master MIG on AL, do only occasional TIG on steel and do all of it using air cooled processes.
I am so happy to hear someone else besides me thinks this way... my wire feed won't take a spool gun and it's probably the thing that I regret the most about staying at the level of mig I did. I could never justify the cost of a bigger machine (or find a steal on one) to pull the trigger. I went air cooled on tig strictly because of the torch issue, plus I don't do above 200 on al very often, though I probably would if I had it lol!

good choices all that you've made there, except for the color of the equipment, but hey, to each his own.

I still stick my thick steel by the way, I like the challenge of making smaw looking like tig.

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think we need a weld school pizza party. I got a Ready Welder & haven't had any time to figure out the dang thing. Probably won't either til I get moved in. John & Marco - you up for that?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM

A weld school would be the shiznit, I've never had a class and it shows. That's why I TIG & MIG, I just don't have the skills to make a stick weld look good. One of my best friends has been welding since he was a kid in his dad's body shop (now 60+ years old) and his stick welds are are work of art. I'd kill to be able to do that.

BTW, I just got a Optima Pulse controller to go with this setup so now have yet another toy to learn this long weekend...
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

one thing I learned about stick, is that it's all in the thickness of the base material and the prep. oh, and the rod. yeah, then there's that amperage/polarity thing... lol

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did strictly stick welding for about 5 years in an industrial setting. I got OK, but it was all learning through trial and error... I wasn't doing any thing critical, just laying floors in box trucks, building bumpers, and fixing produce racks.

I've never had a formal class though, so all i know for TIG and MIG is from an apprenticeship I had for a while (10 years with an old timer).. it's all probably been taught to me wrong.

I think John would be the better teacher Anybody is welcome to come by and play with my machines though. I don't have a foot pedal or thumb control on my TIG though so it makes learning hard.
82 FJ40