Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Question Need Mechanic

I have just taken ownership of my Grandfather's 1966 FJ40. It has been garaged for 15 years. Needless to say, it doesn't start, etc. Overall the body is in pretty good shape, with minor rust on rear corner panels. I know it will need a complete going over, etc. Vehicle has a lot of sentimental meaning and value to me and I want to get it up and running.

I need a good mechanic in the Denver metro, or mountain area that can help me out. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

im free sunday and monday !!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like you have a great starting point for a fun truck. Get lots of opinions from people who know 'cruisers, and go slowly before you spend big bucks.

Develop a plan for the truck - do you want a bone stocker, or do you want some tasteful mods like front disk brakes/dual circuit brakes, and perhaps power steering? A '66 FJ will not be a practical daily driver, so keep things in perspective as far as how useful this truck will ever be. (It will be a fun truck to drive, no matter what else). Do as much work as you can on this truck, to learn and save money. If you turn it over to a shop, they could potentially spend thousands before your very eyes and only address a few outlying issues. By all rights, it should have numerous oil leaks, bad brakes, and an iffy fuel system, but you can fix all these things. Get good manuals - a Haynes, at least, and genuine Toyota manuals if possible.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome to the board. Good luck. pics please
Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

As for mechanics...There are several in the club that do side work including Tim above that I could PM you their info

Then there is Robbie

Steve's advice is sound! Develop a plan before dropping a ton of money in it. If you are interested in learning to DIY (which with a rig that old you might want to start learning now how to fix stuff) get with one of the guys and watch and learn.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcoyote View Post
I have just taken ownership of my Grandfather's 1966 FJ40. It has been garaged for 15 years. Needless to say, it doesn't start, etc. Overall the body is in pretty good shape, with minor rust on rear corner panels. I know it will need a complete going over, etc. Vehicle has a lot of sentimental meaning and value to me and I want to get it up and running.

I need a good mechanic in the Denver metro, or mountain area that can help me out. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I'll totally 2nd what Steve Helmreich wrote. And I would add that I wouldn't necessarily say "needless to say it doesn't start". I have passed the point of surprise at older rigs that only need a tiny bit of work to start right up. Make sure there is oil in the engine. Then drain the old gasoline in the tank - there is a drain plug at the bottom, and discard it to use for your next bonfire. It will be full of sludge and varnish.

Put some fresh gas in. Either put in a good battery or get a jump from a good vehicle's battery. Spray some ether (starter spray) into the top of the carb. There is a good chance she'll start right up. She'll probably stall when the ether runs it's course until fresh gas gets into the carb.

Which "mountain area" are you asking about? I live in Kittredge and would be happy to help.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Rock Stacker

I appreciate all the comments and information. I will take all of them into consideration. Currently, the vehicle is in Colorado Springs, but I live in Denver. Unfortunately, I do not have the space to house it for the purpose of overhauling it myself. Needless to say, I wish I did, and I would love to learn.

Should the vehicle not start I want to be able to tow it to where I am going to have any, or all of the work done on it.

My first goal is to get the vehicle running. I would like to keep as much of the vehicle stock as possible. I intend to use the vehicle for recreational purpose, just like my grandfather did.

My father has told me the breaks are in need of repair, to include the cylinders? and everything else will need cleaning and new seals, etc? As you can tell, at this point I am not much of a mechanic LOL.

I hope to be able to get some photos soon. I also hope to attend a meeting in July or August when my work schedule permits.

Please continue with the helpful comments and suggestions, as they are much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Trail Ready

We are 20 min east of the springs, 1-2 hrs of labor and mabee some small parts, we would love to get it running for ya!!

Thanks Justin
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator

wow! owning your grandfather's cruiser is truly priceless. please please please, keep it stock for your grandson and do not sell that truck.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Even if you get it started and it has brakes, it may not be wise to drive it to Denver (for further restoration) until you check ALL the fluid levels and safety-related bits (rotted tires, etc.). You don't want to fry something needlessly. I would dolly-tow it to Denver, with the drive shaft removed, or find a buddy with a car hauler.

I live in the Springs (Black Forest) and would be happy to give you my .02 worth on where to start with this. PM me if interested.

Steve