Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Has Anyone Installed ByPass Tranny to TC

So, I noticed that my transfer case it transferring oil to the tranny in my FJ40. From what I read online it seems like a pretty common problem. I am temporarily living in limbo so most of my tools are in a POD somewhere in Colorado. So, I don't have the means to drop the TC and replace the seal. Nor am I sure that it would solve the problem because some folks online have suggested a worn Tranny output shaft is the real problem.

Anyway, have any of you tried the bypass? I was just going to buy the one from MAF because I don't have the patience right now to source the parts. Below is the link for the MAF bypass.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...ansfercase.htm

Is there a better one I should use? I have also heard people say they leave it on even after they fix the seal as an insurance policy. Any thoughts on that?

As always, thanks for everyone’s comments.

Justin

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.

Last edited by Bruiser; 07-28-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've got the MAF bypass kit. You could probably do it cheaper by sourcing the parts, but for the ease and insurance, I think the MAF kit is a good buy. I wrapped the hose in a heat resistant cover because of the way my exhaust is routed, so that's something to check out.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
So, I noticed that my transfer case it transferring oil to the tranny in my FJ40. From what I read online it seems like a pretty common problem. I am temporarily living in limbo so most of my tools are in a POD somewhere in Colorado. So, I don't have the means to drop the TC and replace the seal. Nor am I sure that it would solve the problem because some folks online have suggested a worn Tranny output shaft is the real problem.

Anyway, have any of you tried the bypass? I was just going to buy the one from MAF because I don't have the patience right now to source the parts. Below is the link for the MAF bypass.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...ansfercase.htm

Is there a better one I should use? I have also heard people say they leave it on even after they fix the seal as an insurance policy. Any thoughts on that?

As always, thanks for everyones comments.

Justin

Justin
Hi Justin,

After I did my 4 speed conversion, I had this issue also.

I realized I had not put sealant on the tranny output shaft splines when I mated the two, even though I used a new OEM seal.

Instead of paying the bucks for a "kit", I simply went to my local hardware store and got a couple of 1/8 NPT to 1/8 barb fittings, some 1/8 ID tubing, drilled and tapped my fill plugs, stuck the tubing on the barbs and went about my business. That was 4 years ago and all is well. One of these days, whenever I have occasion to unmate the tranny and t-case I'll put some sealant on those splines. In the mean-time, it's all good.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Jeff and Matt. I was just going to buy the kit becasue I liked the way it uses the current thread pattern and becasue I don't even have my tap and die set. All I kept from going in the POD was the basic tools I needed for trail repair. Which, thinking back on it should have included the tap and die set but not much I can do about it now. I guess I will just have to buy a house to fix that issue.

Justin
Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

I installed the Man-A-Fre kit when I rebuilt my rig, even though the trany and xfer were rebuilt with new seals. Just makes sense and it is a good kit. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Thanks Jeff and Matt. I was just going to buy the kit becasue I liked the way it uses the current thread pattern and becasue I don't even have my tap and die set. All I kept from going in the POD was the basic tools I needed for trail repair. Which, thinking back on it should have included the tap and die set but not much I can do about it now. I guess I will just have to buy a house to fix that issue.

Justin
I used one on my old set up, I had not thought of putting it in on the new set up but after reading Jeff, Matt and Terry's posts - I think I'm going to install it anyway. That said, it currently in my garage available for you to take it to the Parker Store to have one made.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Lone voice in the wilderness - on my '87 FJ60 and '78 FJ40, I removed the vent cap on the xfer case, which prevented it from pressurizing and pushing the oil into the transmission, and never had this problem again.

Both trucks suffered the 'empty xfer/overfilled transmission' problem at one time or another. However, I have no beef with the hose between the two fill plugs - it's benign, effective and cheap.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Wouldn't that increase the odds though of getting water into the TC from road splash or water crossings?

I had the MAF setup, Ricardo has it now since I went to an Orion TC. My only concern was the 1 fitting is on the bottom of the TC and hung down a little. It looked like a rock magnet to me and if you break it off on the trail you'll lose all of your 90w. Make sure you adjust everything for maximum clearance and ideally have a skid plate that protects those components.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I ran a vent hose (fuel line) up to the top of the cowl from the top of the xfer case. Just removing the vent, alone, would indeed be a bad plan.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for everyone's reply.

Ricardo, I am just going to order one from MAF but thanks for offering yours.

A skid plate is definitely the next thing on my list. I have one but need to adapt it some since the sbc pushed my tranny and TC forward.

Justin