Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default XtraCab Driveshaft

The splines in my rear 'shaft are clunking something awful. So my driveshaft is headed to Englewood next week to see what can be done. Hopefully my CV joint is still rebuildable enough that he can maybe re-spline, replace the u-joints and balance.

But if for some reason the CV has too much play (it's got some) such that this is not possible, I might be faced with needing a new rear driveshaft. Seriously hope not, I really don't have the money for this since my bike needs new wheels. Turns out your front wheel flying off your roof rack on I-25 is bad thing for them. Very bad, like exploding bike wheel as it careens off vehicle bumpers and medians. It's also, funny enough, difficult for me to ride a wheelie more than 2 feet, forget for a whole ride.

Long wheel base mini guys, is it possible to go one-piece on the rear? There is a little bit of a turn in the driveshaft to route around the fuel tank, but I have about 2" of lift and wonder if this is no longer needed. My uncalibrated eye says no, that without 4" of lift the tube might still rub the tank skid plate.

Is there even an advantage to a single tube driveshaft over the two-piece or vice-versa? Seems that a two-piece has more clearance to me and other than having twice the u-joints and a center carrier it is better for such a long length that one tube would be exposed. The whole thing is probably 4+ feet long.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

U shouldn't drive With a solid shaft. It offends the women. Lol oh wrong topic. Seriouslly you can (if it clears) but I wouldn't because were the carrier is now is the pivot point which I believe is the same angle as your leafsprings. So you shaft would hang lower. But no harm Should come if you want to run a solid. Now. If you had a doubler. You should be able to pull it off. But I've seen it both ways.

Me I wouldn't bother. Because it's more expensive.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
U shouldn't drive With a solid shaft. It offends the women. Lol oh wrong topic. Seriouslly you can (if it clears) but I wouldn't because were the carrier is now is the pivot point which I believe is the same angle as your leafsprings. So you shaft would hang lower. But no harm Should come if you want to run a solid. Now. If you had a doubler. You should be able to pull it off. But I've seen it both ways.

Me I wouldn't bother. Because it's more expensive.
With a double case most people go to a one piece rear because it's about 25% shorter and the fuel tank clearance is no longer an issue. Not to mention most people with double cases also run more than 2" of lift and 33" tires. But in any case, single case here. A one piece 'shaft would expose a whole lot of tube to the ground with 120" of wheelbase.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler