Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default PS Pump pulley removal?

I finally got around to pulling the old PS pump out of the 60. To make it easy, I think I need a pulley puller to swap pulley from old to new. Or... is there another way (read reaaally easy way) to get that thing off there?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
I finally got around to pulling the old PS pump out of the 60. To make it easy, I think I need a pulley puller to swap pulley from old to new. Or... is there another way (read reaaally easy way) to get that thing off there?
Is the 60 pump different from the 62? I don't know but all you need is a 17mm wrench to remove the nut from the pulley and it pulls right off. DON'T lose the key (wedge) that secures the pulley to the pump shaft! Loosen the nut before removing the belt.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default pulley remover

Hi Shaun,
If the pulley is pressed on I have the remover/install tool at work that you could borrow but like Steve posted I think it is a bolt on pulley.
Also if you already have the pump off the truck an impact should also break the nut loose. Good luck with the repairs. Art
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Some cars are a revers thread so be carfull. I'm not sure uf yours is. But alot of "Bolt-on's" are
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

these are not reverse thread and just slide onto the shaft like Steve said.

I have had good luck by losening the nut so it is still on by a few threads, holding the whole assembly by the pully in my hand (pump hanging from it) and tapping on the nut with a hammer. A few of mine were on pretty tight but it worked. I could swing by after work and help you try to get it off of there if you want also.
82 FJ40
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default nut is off...

I got the nut of there just fine, it does seem "keyed". it moves very slightly on the shaft (that's what she said), but doesn't want to come off.

Since the pump is out, I'll try Marco's tactic. Marco...if I can't get it done, I'll take you up on the offer after work some time this week.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
these are not reverse thread and just slide onto the shaft like Steve said.

I have had good luck by losening the nut so it is still on by a few threads, holding the whole assembly by the pully in my hand (pump hanging from it) and tapping on the nut with a hammer. A few of mine were on pretty tight but it worked. I could swing by after work and help you try to get it off of there if you want also.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just drive it around for a bit with the nut loose. It will loosen that pulley, no problem. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default worked like a charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post

Worked great, thanks for the tip. It took me all of 5min including interruptions. This one appeared to have anti-seize or grease on it or something and was quite easy to get removed.

next...pump goes back in, gear box gets sent to West Texas off-road for a rebuild, then upon its return...back together including new TRE's, rotors and pads.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default replace pulley

to keep things in one thread, in case anyone else needs help...

I'm finally going to re-install the new pump tomorrow morning. Couple of questions:

1. should I put anti-seize or grease on the key and pump shaft? all the install bolts?
2. Can I put the pulley on after installing back on the bracket? It would seem a lot easier without that damn pulley in the way.
3. dumb question: I assume putting the pulley back on is just a matter of torquing in back on with the nut and washers with the wooddrift key in place. correct?

Anything else?

thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

No grease on the pump shaft but clean it and the pulley well. None on the bracket bolts, either. The pulley can be reinstalled after the pump and bracket are bolted to the engine and it is probably easier that way. Geting the pulley back on the shaft with the key is a little tricky but not that bad. You can even have the belt installed on the pulley and get the pulley on the shaft if the PS pump is in its loosest postion and the idler pulley is adjusted very loosely too. I know because I did it this morning while swapping in a new water pump on Bart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
to keep things in one thread, in case anyone else needs help...

I'm finally going to re-install the new pump tomorrow morning. Couple of questions:

1. should I put anti-seize or grease on the key and pump shaft? all the install bolts?
2. Can I put the pulley on after installing back on the bracket? It would seem a lot easier without that damn pulley in the way.
3. dumb question: I assume putting the pulley back on is just a matter of torquing in back on with the nut and washers with the wooddrift key in place. correct?

Anything else?

thanks.