Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Wincher

Default Sand Blasting Question

I found 2 1950's metal kitchen wall cabinets on line and they were originally pink. Probably in the 1970's someone painted over the pink with avocado green latex paint. Then in the 1980's or 1990's they repainted them with latex white.

I bought these for my garage and instead of sanding these down before I repainted them I took them to a sandblasting shop to save me some time. I only wanted the doors blasted because the cabinets themselves weren't layered/caked with paint. Having never done this I was anxious to see how it would turn out.

I got them back and they were warped badly!!!! It looks like they stuck a nozzle inside the opening of the hinges (hollow)and blew out the front and back side like an envelope.

Long story but here's my question. Does sandblasting cause this type of warping? Heat maybe. Did they use the wrong media? The metal was fairly heavy but maybe not heavy enough.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Lifted

Sounds like the blaster warped the panels. Where did you have it done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ 432 View Post
I found 2 1950's metal kitchen wall cabinets on line and they were originally pink. Probably in the 1970's someone painted over the pink with avocado green latex paint. Then in the 1980's or 1990's they repainted them with latex white.

I bought these for my garage and instead of sanding these down before I repainted them I took them to a sandblasting shop to save me some time. I only wanted the doors blasted because the cabinets themselves weren't layered/caked with paint. Having never done this I was anxious to see how it would turn out.

I got them back and they were warped badly!!!! It looks like they stuck a nozzle inside the opening of the hinges (hollow)and blew out the front and back side like an envelope.

Long story but here's my question. Does sandblasting cause this type of warping? Heat maybe. Did they use the wrong media? The metal was fairly heavy but maybe not heavy enough.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's not heat that warps it, but the media pounding the metal which causes it to bow outward due to the molecular structure of the metal changing due to the repeated bombardment. I'm sure some of the metallurgists can explain it better.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Wincher

I had it done at a shop that actually inscribes grave markers called Alpine Monument. They were close by my work and thought I would give them a shot.

So Martin, it changes the metal. That's interesting. I wonder if they used a different media like soda as opposed to sand it might have changed the outcome. I guess sandblasting is better left to heavy or heavier gauge metal. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Did they mention the risk when you originally talked with them about the job? Have you contacted them and explained the damage?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

good luck getting them to cover anything, as they did nothing wrong. you basically planished them out of shape.

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Did they mention the risk when you originally talked with them about the job? Have you contacted them and explained the damage?
Yes they did. They said there might be warping. I don't feel they did anything wrong and I'm not trying to bad mouth the company. I asked them to remove the paint and they did.

I was trying to find out how the process of having them blasted made them blow out the way they did.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ 432 View Post
I had it done at a shop that actually inscribes grave markers called Alpine Monument. They were close by my work and thought I would give them a shot.

So Martin, it changes the metal. That's interesting. I wonder if they used a different media like soda as opposed to sand it might have changed the outcome. I guess sandblasting is better left to heavy or heavier gauge metal. Thanks.
The media used to sandblast granite for gravestones is usually very very abrasive and large particles of aluminum oxide. I doubt they changed out their media to something milder just for your cabinets. For paint removal on thin gauge metal, you would probably use something much milder.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
good luck getting them to cover anything, as they did nothing wrong. you basically planished them out of shape.
I see said the blind man....... so the process stretched the metal...
Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
The media used to sandblast granite for gravestones is usually very very abrasive and large particles of aluminum oxide. I doubt they changed out their media to something milder just for your cabinets. For paint removal on thin gauge metal, you would probably use something much milder like soda.
That is something I suspect and I wondered if a gentler media would have made a better outcome. Thanks.