Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default CB Linear Amps

Dingus openly selling his CB and linear amps: Craigslist: conne 3300 hp cb radio palomar 250 amp xforce XT400 amp - $1 (Aurora)

So what?

F.C.C. File No. EB-02-DT-610 - FORFEITURE ORDER
In this Forfeiture Order (``Order''), we issue a
monetary forfeiture in the amount of five hundred dollars
($500)
to Frank Kluz, Lancaster, Ohio, for willful violation
of Section 95.411 of the Commission's Rules (``Rules'').1 The
noted violation involves Mr. Kluz's use of an external radio
frequency power amplifier (``linear amplifier'') as part of
his Citizens Band (``CB'') radio station.
And...
On July 23, 2002, the Commission's Detroit, Michigan
Field Office (``Detroit Office'') issued a Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture (``NAL'') to Mr. Kluz in the amount
of five thousand dollars ($5,000)
Because they...
...interviewed Mr. Kluz, and inspected his CB radio
station. The agents observed a Palomar TX-200B linear
amplifier attached to Mr. Kluz's CB transceiver.
Mr. Kluz
told the agents that he had obtained the linear amplifier from
a friend two days earlier and was checking it out for his
friend. Measurements taken by the agents indicated that the
linear amplifier had an output power that ranged from 12.5
watts to 75 watts, which exceeds the permissible power limits
specified in Section 95.410 of the Rules.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Lifted

Little OT, will those Linears work for people with HAM equipement?
94 pickup in a pile of parts
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Little OT, will those Linears work for people with HAM equipement?
In theory yes, you could potentially use an illegal CB linear amp for ham and it would become a legal piece of gear. This falls under the implicit understanding that hams are allowed and really expected to tinker with gear. You can take any piece of radio gear and use it for ham; commercial, kits, home-made, it's all perfectly acceptable for amateur radio.

There are a couple of caveats, tho. First, that gear can generally never again be used for its original service (e.g. liberated commercial gear that is used for ham can never again be used for commercial) and second it must be certified to meet the technical requirements deemed necessary the F.C.C. and by your fellow hams. If you are buying a piece of gear, the manufacturer tested it and asked the F.C.C. to verify it's acceptable, but if you build or modify something it is you who is giving the gear the thumb's up under authority of your ham license.

What it means to 'meet requirements' is that to the F.C.C. it stays within our designated frequency spectrum, so it stays on frequency and does not create more interference than allowed, both within and outside the ham bands. To your fellow hams by using a piece of gear you are further saying that your radio junk will not splatter or deviate to the point of being annoying. The requirements we place on each other go beyond (or are really complementary to) what the F.C.C. asks of us. IOW, you could have a piece of gear that is noisy but stays within the ham bands and could be therefore potentially legal but still unusable as a favor to other hams.

Think of the ham bands as small, virtually walled RF sand box that the F.C.C. basically says we're allowed to play in as long as we don't get sand outside the edges of the box. What sorts of sand castles we build inside the box are up to us to more or less self police, which is why we come up with things like band plans and suggested frequencies for modes. There is no legal requirement that repeater frequencies end up where they do, that is by handshake agreement amongst all hams. Same with using voice or Morse in certain locations, set aside parts of bands to use only for satellites or using SSB or FM at others.

The bottom line is that you could buy one of these amps, modify it for use on 10m or 12m (they are designed for CB, which is outside a ham band) and it may be fine. It might even work without modification, in that it may amplify a 10m input. What probably will happen, though, is that it will create interference that makes it illegal (by creating noise outside our bands) and discourteous to use (off frequency, lots of harmonic noise, etc.). It would be up to YOU to guarantee that it is working properly. But for 10m in particular all these illegal amps do create a cheap source of the guts of amps for us hams, but the designs and quality of them leave a whole lot to be desired, so you have to be very careful with them. They are also generally made extremely poorly, so you also need to be careful that they aren't dangerous. Above about 50W you have to be aware of RF exposure and burns.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Back in he 80s, everyone had Linear amps on their CBs including myself. Oh well I guess that was the eighties.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

When we were at Blue Notch on the shore of lake powell we were listening to some guy on the mexico/us border that was pretty entertaining. he must have been running a pretty crazy setup.

He was talking to people all over. Seemed like there were several folks with similar setups talking over crazy long distances. We were using a galaxy radio (not modded) to listen. That Galaxy was a really nice radio.
82 FJ40
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
When we were at Blue Notch on the shore of lake powell we were listening to some guy on the mexico/us border that was pretty entertaining. he must have been running a pretty crazy setup.

He was talking to people all over. Seemed like there were several folks with similar setups talking over crazy long distances. We were using a galaxy radio (not modded) to listen. That Galaxy was a really nice radio.
Hard to say, but remember CB is located in the HF bands, so sometimes you get lucky with propagation. But most likely, yeah, he was running an illegal setup. OTOH, I made a QRP contact on 20m from Lost Creek Wilderness with KD0ACR in South Dakota. This was side band (not DSB AM) and he was running 400W with a 3-element beam, but I was running 2.5W into a 44' doublet with a tuner.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Lifted

Getting of topic but... How were you doing 20m from Lost Creek Wilderness? I guess I'm not familiar with the gear you mentioned but I assume HT?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Heh heh, I'd love to see the antenna on a 20m handitalkie. I guess an FT-817, being battery operated and portable would qualify. Maybe all the FT-xx7 models would qualify.