Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Welding Instruction

So i bought myself an ac/dc stick welder to do projects with. Got taught some in high school but that was along time ago. I know some guys are fabricators or pretty home welders on here and wanted to see if someone would be interested in spending some time tutoring me. Not looking to make it a career so it shouldnt take up a lot of your time, but would like to be able to do all my own fabricating. Thinking about a Tig setup after I conquer stick. I need someone who can look at my stuff and tell me what im doing wrong and tell me how to fix it. I can supply my own rods and gear so you wont be out anything. I can come to you or we can work in my garage. Wanted to see if we could spend a few hours welding then I can practice for a week or so and come back for some more instruction. Willing to throw cash, beer, lunch for instruction depending on what you want.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Wincher

Default welding instruction

Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com Jody posts several videos to youtube with instruction and tips on all various types of welding. His stick (smaw) videos should get you started and ahead of the game.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com Jody posts several videos to youtube with instruction and tips on all various types of welding. His stick (smaw) videos should get you started and ahead of the game.
Thanks, that is actually one of the sites I have been looking at. I can lay down a straight bead and not get the electrode stuck, but i wouldnt trust any of my welds with anything important. Im also a paranoid person when it comes to stuff like that. I have always had buddies that were welders where I lived before and they would just do it instead of me learning. Im trying to correct that now. I really love fabricating stuff so at least the learning is fun. I burnt down about 10 7018 rods today before I had to do other stuff.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Wincher

I had zero experience but went to a General Air class in the Springs with a buddy earlier this year. The instructor asked everyone their intentions and what they wanted to get out of the class, and then the remainder of the time was hands on coaching and trial and error stuff. I thought it was worthwhile and learned a lot, even after reading some websites and watching videos prior to the class.

http://www.generalair.com/Training2016.aspx
Old 06-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

I am not very good at stick but if you want to burn your stuff up come on up this way. I could give you some pointers and help with what to look for. I have MIG, TIG and stick in my garage. Shoot me a email. See what I can do. No job at the moment so have some time. Give me a holler.

zipponfab@aol.com
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....