Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Wincher

Default Road Closed on West Side of Alpine Tunnel. Fine $ Question.

I have wanted to do Williams pass since 2007. My old DC Tundra would not fit between the boulders placed on the west side entrance. I am sure my GX would fit. I went yesterday and they had two barricades up about 1 mile from the Williams Pass entrance with a picture of a silly little boulder blocking the road. It didn't look that big. But it's hard to tell from a picture the size. I don't even know for sure it was Before the Williams Trail entrance. Either way my buddy was "I don't want to get a huge fine". So he beat me to the punch by doing the right thing faster then me. But man I wanted to drive down, take a look and see if I could get on the trail. No harm in trying. But we didn't. So lets speculate. If I had gone, and gotten caught. What would have happened. Think I could have talked my way out of it? . Especially once I was on William Pass. I could have simply come from the other end and they would never have known I moved the barricade. Argh. Now I have to wait to August 2017 to try again. Its only open in August.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
Vice Commander

I think the worst part of all of that hypothetical is the relationship damage it would cause with the Forest Service and all other agencies we work hard to earn respect from. Please stay on the trail. That means staying off of closed trails, even seasonally closed ones.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
Wincher

I stayed on the trail. But had I gone from the East side I would have been on the back side of the sign and I would not have broken any "rule". They threw up a sign to keep people off the Alpine Tunnel trail but also closed the William Pass trailhead. If I had time I would have crossed to the other side via Hancock. Jumped on Willams pass from the East and done it that way. Even if it meant returning the way I came.

I am in now way saying I would do the trail off season. Simply saying, and I know most would admit they have been there, I wanted to jump the sign. Thats is natural. I waited a long time to hit that trail on that day. I was a little surprised at his "BIG FINE" statement. How big would it be? Just a month ago a couple idiots roll their Jeeps into a river and the Forrest Service doesn't even care other then say "Yeh, can you come get them?" in a newspaper add. That is much worse and they didn't fine them. This was simple a big flat rock in the road from looking at the picture.