Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Question Sell the 80 and buy something new(er)?

I love my 80, but it's showing its age. Last year, I took it to Robbie's shop and dumped a ton of money into repairs -- and it still needs work. My problem is that I have less time than I used to for doing work myself, and I also have less time for wheeling. When I actually do find myself with a free weekend, it's disappointing to have a truck that's not ready-to-go

I'm starting to wonder if I might be better served by buying a newer 100 or even a used 200. Or maybe buying a brand new 4Runner or Tacoma. What are your thoughts on this? At what point do you draw the line and say it's time for something new?

Here's where I'm at:

THE GOOD
  • Completely rebuilt 1FZ engine with TRD supercharger
  • 4.88 gears
  • factory lockers
  • drawers in back that make a great sleeping platform
  • ham radio installed cleanly with great transmit/receive power
  • CB radio in dash with great transmit/receive power (for a legal CB)
  • Warn M12000 winch
  • ARB front bumper
  • Irbis rear bumper with Slee 2" receiver integrated hitch
  • sliders
  • Iron Pig transfer case skid
  • LED lights, cupholders, extra 12v. power outlets, etc.
  • Good stereo with Infinity speakers
  • No or very little rust
  • My offroad trailer was built with same track width as an 80 and the tongue height is perfect. It'll work behind another vehicle but it was built with the 80 in mind.
  • 3/4 length Gamiviti rack (never installed)
  • It's an 80 -- it'll go almost anywhere!

THE BAD
  • Rear locker won't engage under load (works fine on lift)
  • High-pressure PS hose needs to be replaced
  • PS gearbox has small leak
  • Driver-side mirror: whole housing needs to be replaced - flops around like all the detents have been broken
  • Incessant rattle from sunroof driving me mad

THE UGLY
  • Leather on front seats needs replacement
  • Could use a new paint job (although it looks good from 20 feet)
  • Dents in both front doors (passenger side is more noticeable)
  • Dent in PS rear quarter panel that cracked the paint (filled with POR 15)
  • Sliders are bent and kind of ugly
  • Rear bumper top (alum diamond plate) is loose and needs to be re-riveted
  • Need to remove the 20-year-old factory roof rack to install Gamiviti roof rack

Just curious what your thoughts are. I used to think that I would never ever sell my 80 for a newer truck... but now I'm thinking I don't have the time to do constant maintenance and I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it. Buying a new or newer vehicle might be a smarter choice for me, especially since I'm not out wheeling harder stuff these days.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

with a 200 you could easily trailer that old willys. The power diff between a 100 and 200 is amazing.

I am happy to take you for a ride and let you try it out

There are so many nice other things about the 200, but I will let you experience them
11 RX350
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Rock Stacker

Hulk - sounds like you've made the decision (to upgrade) and are just looking for validation here. By your own admission, you're missing out on wheeling opportunities because of your limited time and not have a truck that's ready to go when you are. Time to upgrade
Old 07-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Mark my vote down for staying with the 80. For what it would cost to outfit even a 100 series to get you where you might want to go, you could do every repair and upgrade on your list and still have money left over for beer. And, you'll still have a truck that will outperform nearly every vehicle ever sent to the U.S.

The only variable in the equation for me is how long you feel the 80 will last? Another 100k? 200k?

But, if you decide to sell, there are a lot of people that would be willing to take it off your hands!

Good luck either way!
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm with Paul, fix up the 80. But if it doesn't work don't get super attached to stuff. It took me a year to separate from the '91 and I still wonder if I did the right thing. I'm redoing a lot of the work that I had already done to get Imelda to where I wanted it. On top of that no vehicle is completely without issues.

The Tacoma I bought with 42K on the odometer has been back in for a couple of recalls, has required baselining and fixes. Even a brand new truck will have things to work out until you feel it's really right, much less anything used that has a previous owner. I've been doing things for the last 20K or so miles such now that I think I know and trust the Tacoma, that I've gone through a cycle of fluids, maintenance, etc. that I'm starting to get into sync with it. You really get to recognize the little sounds and feelings, which to worry about and which are normal.

You may be looking through rose colored glasses if you expect to jump into a 100 or 200, bolt on a couple of things in a weekend and be done. Even if you take a modest approach to the outfit you still have to come up with new solutions to fitting and wiring radios, storage, armor. It'll be anywhere from a little bit to a long while before you're done building up the new truck.

Point being it's usually easier and cheaper to deal with the problems you know than to assume a whole slate of ones you don't. There's also a time vs financial balance. You could drop off either the 80 or a new truck and your credit card with Robbie and the problems just go away, you know.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 07-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I am happy to take you for a ride and let you try it out

There are so many nice other things about the 200, but I will let you experience them
OK - I'll give you a buzz when I'm back in town. This is a good idea. I've never even driven a 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collk22 View Post
Hulk - sounds like you've made the decision (to upgrade) and are just looking for validation here.
No decision has been made. This is the first time I've really considered selling the 80, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
Mark my vote down for staying with the 80. For what it would cost to outfit even a 100 series to get you where you might want to go, you could do every repair and upgrade on your list and still have money left over for beer. And, you'll still have a truck that will outperform nearly every vehicle ever sent to the U.S.
See, that's the thing I'm not putting into my equation: I'm going to want bumpers and sliders and drawers and all the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE
The only variable in the equation for me is how long you feel the 80 will last? Another 100k? 200k?
Powertrain should last 100k minimum, probably more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
You may be looking through rose colored glasses if you expect to jump into a 100 or 200, bolt on a couple of things in a weekend and be done. Even if you take a modest approach to the outfit you still have to come up with new solutions to fitting and wiring radios, storage, armor. It'll be anywhere from a little bit to a long while before you're done building up the new truck.
Yeah, I'm not thinking about all the time I have into the truck now. Just the wiring alone for the radios and power for the fridge is a bunch of time.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Paul and Dave. I would keep the 80. I'm dealing with similar issues with my FJ60. Not much time to work on it or use it, however, I regret selling my 40 soooo much that I know selling the 60 would leave an empty place in my soul, so I'm keeping it. My solution was to buy a second reliable wheeler/driver (Dave's old 91 pickup Imelda) so that I always have an option for a "spur-of-the-moment, capable, road trip vehicle" if the cruiser is down for repairs.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

If interested in selling the Gamviti rack let me know.

97 LX450
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Matt, I'm in the keep it and fix it camp. Commit to a schedule to knock out the little stuff, decide what you'll farm out and set up a budget for them, decide on it taking 6 months or a year and enjoy that awesome 80.

I've been building our 100, the amount of time to install everything seems overwhelming but I work on it one night a week (after the kids are down) and a few hours on Saturday and knock out a bit at a time. Some times a weeks work is just buying epoxy or hardware or a part... But it's coming along.

I've created a prioritized punch a list with expected time to complete it, then I hit the highest thing on the list within the time frame I've got.

If it were me,

I'd have a detail shop cut and polish the paint (black is gonna be tough as it shows everything).
Buy some temporary seat covers till you have the cash and time to tackle them.
Re rivet the aluminum sill, shouldn't take long.
Wedge some foam on the sunroof till you can tackle it.
Skip the dents or go for paintless dent removal, you wheel it after all.
Etc etc etc.

All that said, I love your 80, put me in line if you do sell it!
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Wincher

And I FINALLY just got my 80. You can't sell on me now!

(purely selfish reasoning)