Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default National Luna dual battery controller

Any of you guys using the NL controller for your dual battery system in your 80? It's got a built in alarm for over-charging, which I think comes into play when it detects 14.8 volts or more. So every time I start the 80, the alarm goes off for the first 5 minutes or so, until the alternator settles down and/or I start cranking the accessories.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there anything I can do other than to disable the audible alarm on the controller?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

You probably should check that it's not a false alarm, 14.8V is really high. You should be fast charging the battery at around 14.4V, nominally floating about 13.9V~14.1V. For a constant current charger you'd consider them fully charge when they reach 2.45V/cell, which is 14.7V, and that's when you would start to fold back unless you were trying to equalize the battery. Equalization is something you don't want to do often as it shortens the life of the cells and even then for a sealed battery you would not want to exceed 2.5V/cell (15V) ever.

Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist. -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Any of you guys using the NL controller for your dual battery system in your 80? It's got a built in alarm for over-charging, which I think comes into play when it detects 14.8 volts or more. So every time I start the 80, the alarm goes off for the first 5 minutes or so, until the alternator settles down and/or I start cranking the accessories.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there anything I can do other than to disable the audible alarm on the controller?
I think it is normal upon start up. My 80 does it and so does Treeroots.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Lifted

I have the National Luna with the sensor. Mine doesn't always go off and can't explain other than it appears to be when I let the truck sit for a while. On startup the alternator will surge for a few minutes to quickly charge up the battery. If it goes off after a few minutes I wouldn't worry about it. Mine doesn't go off for 5 minutes by any stretch. Maybe 30 seconds or so when I first crank up. As Dave mentioned almost 15v is a little excessive. Is that what your reading or just a guesstimate?

"Tractor in a Tux"

What Did the Five Fingers Say to the Face.....
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks. It is high for sure, but it never lasts long. Like you said Nemo - it's much worse when the truck sits for a while and is cold.

I'd have to double-check the exact numbers, but it's at the top of the green bars on the controller, which I thought was 14.6. They all light up, and then the controller blinks and the alarm sounds. After a short period, all is well and it calms down.

This didn't happen when I ran this same system in my Tacoma, but obviously that's not a realistic comparison.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'll let others dispute your editorial. My comment was meant to imply that the alternators were different, and the load on the system different between the two trucks.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I have the National Luna system. I would not buy another one. If you drive long periods of time it works as designed but short trip use will not keep the second batt charged. Building your own system with a high amp continuous duty solonoid will save you money and keep you in happy power more often! In my work truck I have a smart volt sensing module that works really well!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
In my work truck I have a smart volt sensing module that works really well!
TLCA#4180
Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Since I paid a whopping $0 for mine, I decided to keep it..... It has always worked fine for me.

So the controller goes up to 14.2V (not 14.6 as I previously speculated), and the audible alarm goes off for a charging voltage > 14.65V per the NL documentation. I did a bit more reading and poking around the interwebs, and it seems that this is not uncommon for initial starting and cold starting scenarios, but shouldn't last more than a few minutes.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Mine beeps at me A LOT. Of course it's not a toyota alternator.

It is annoying as hell I think and I have gotten used to starting it and immediatly silencing both alarms.

Ipersonally think it is set too low but I have no idea how to change that. I don't think I have every actually confirmed that it was charging at the rate it is supposed to alarm at.

I am tempted to just disable the beeper or just give it some sort of labotomy since I think it serves me little purpose other than just to freak others out who drive my truck.
82 FJ40