Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Default 80 series owners

Check your fan clutch.

I wasn't overheating at all but the ac is weak and I charged it and it's still kinda weak. I drained and flushed the rad last year. Time to check the fan clutch.

I did the hold test and it failed. So i picked up some 10,000 cst at the hobby store on the way home. pulled the fan clutch and mangled one nut getting it off. Pulled on off the 70 for reassembly. opened up the fan clutch and almost nothing came out great. I figured i'd fill it up anyway and see if it leaks. If it does i'll just buy a blue hub fan clutch. This one was an eaton 7/96.

I'll see how it works in the morning.

Pictures are overrated
TLCA#4180
Old 07-17-2010, 12:57 AM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

huh?? wounder if this is my problem?? i've been gettin hot out here grant it has been warm but my truck has never hit 215F before this was in denver the other day traffic 30 mph air on med, dumped the oil and anti freeze in lead and refilled and still running warm 202F with the air on??? What is this hold test and how do you do it??

Kevin
Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

In.

Just wanted to mark my territory in an 80 series thread.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

From Mud:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...h-service.html
Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I bought the new blue clutch and added the 10,000 CST oil when I did the supercharger.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

i have the blue clutch fan and i bought the cst 10,000 when i was in black hills will put in this week seems to be running fine here in Canada maybe it was the heat out in Denver and Deadwood ???
Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'll be looking at the LX here soon...Have a 3 yr old blue hub clutch fan and the coolant is a couple years old (yeah, time to flush it again) and temps have been fine even towing the popup to CM10 and up to Grand Lake...But on the drive back up sans the popup on Thursday in the 90F+ heat I managed to get the LX up to 220F pulling the hills - Much too warm for my liking.

Just had the system on the 80 done and Ben found the radiator was REALLY plugged up...He R&R'd the radiator and took it to a shop where they flow tested it and then did their thing with it...IIRC the shop told him the radiator flow tested as < 25% - Now with it all back together and 100% new hoses, thermostat, and coolant it won't break 190F even in the 90F+ heat with the AC on. Runs a good 10-15F cooler than the LX in the same conditions.

Figure it will be money well spent to pull the radiator and have it professionally cleaned out if another flush doesn't do the trick.

Check your radiator overflow bottle and see how much "muck" is sitting at the bottom...When I flushed the LX's radiator the last time there was a bunch and more would get dumped into the overflow bottle every week or two even after the flush.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater