Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Default Plug Exhaust Pin Holes?

I'm looking for some tips to plug pin holes in my 97 TLC y-pipe (transition pipe between exhaust manifold and cat) . The PO hacked half the y-pipe off and installed a coupler for a new exhaust system. I've owned it for 3 years and I've been fighting leaks at this location from day one and I'm done paying my exhaust shop to add more weld. I'm searching for a used y-pipe now (anyone?) but in the meantime, the leaks are driving me crazy. Almost sounds like a pimped out civic with a fart can muffler.

Any cheap and nasty temporary fix until I can locate a replacement pipe? JB Weld, high temp sealant, gum?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

JB weld does wonders but if you want to stop by sometime we can weld it up again till you find a Y pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

If it's leaking in just one general area on the Y pipe where it is accessible, try getting a muffler wrap kit. They sell them at Checker, WalMart, etc. Usually it is a metallic or fiberglass type tape that you wrap tightly around the leaking area. As it gets hot it shrinks and seals up somewhat around the area. It may help quiet it down but it is only a shlock fix until you get a proper repair completed.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang