Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Lifted

I have a similar issue. I spoke with CDan and as of a couple of days ago, Toyota does not offer a rebuilt front brake caliper for a 96. I don't know what the difference is between years. I do know if there was an alternative year, he is the one that would know. Doesn't answer your questions just confirms the situation.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

IIRC there were a few threads on mud about this same issue. Here's a couple: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...-calipers.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...arly-95-a.html

At any rate I went with the napa rebuilts. The physical caliper is the same as OEM toyota. ( I had heard toyota didn't make their own calipers) . Quality is OK....I imagine the quality of the seals/boots/etc is not up to standard toyota, but they work ok so far. The core charge does suck. It was way more than 60 bucks. More like 90 I think.

One suggestion is to either keep off the old calipers or buy new the bleeder screws. The ones on the napa calipers were cheap-o. Oh yea and buy some new copper washers from Dan, the ones with the calipers don't quite match up for size compared to OEM. They'd probably work, but the washers were cheap. And make sure to hold on to the anti squeal shims...they are freakin expensive!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default Toyota brake caliper

I have a question about those Toyota calipers, it is a 4 piston caliper, but two are smaller in diameter,

Wouldnt the pressure be different?? the pads do not seem to wear uneven.

Who would know aside from some body in mexico that is rebuilding them??

Take em apart and rebuild them yourself. a option for sure,