Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default What is the longest time spend on one bolt

I removed the transmission and everything behind it. When I took it apart I pulled the Tcases first so it was easy to get to the top bolts. When I re-installed it I put it in all in one piece. Not so easy to get to one of the top bolts.

I spend nearly an hour on one bolt I could only turn it 1/8th of a turn and had to turn the wrench around and do it again. In hindsight I should have removed the Tcases and done it over the top but

I got it in so for me an hour is the longest time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I've seen a lower rear shock bolt on an 80 consume 3 hours.. it broke, was drilled, then the ez-out broke, then that got drilled, eventually drilling bigger and bigger until the rest could get tapped out.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well lets see. When I had the 55, I was changing out the rear bearings and seals, and after pulling off the diff cover, and pulling out one of the bolts (not sure what it was called) realized it was already sheared in half.

Needed to get an easy out in there, but also needed a really long drill bit as a regular drill wouldn't fit due to the axle housing.

Now mind you this is when I was really poor and had my old 91' explorer. At the time it was having some battery/alternator issues. Drove into Ace, got the bit and easyout, and started to drive home. About 1/2 mile from my house the explorer died, no charge to battery. Pulled it over on the side of the road.

Luckily had a buddy helping me with the cruiser, so we walked back to the house, got his tacoma, and went and towed the explorer home.

After that, was able to get a mostly centered hole into the sheared bolt, and turn the easy out about a quarter turn each time.

Probably 3 hours into the project for that one little bolt :-D
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Easily a full day. Several times.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

rusted, rounded off leaf spring bolt on a 55...a couple of weeks total, an hour or so every few days.
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I removed the transmission and everything behind it. When I took it apart I pulled the Tcases first so it was easy to get to the top bolts. When I re-installed it I put it in all in one piece. Not so easy to get to one of the top bolts.

I spend nearly an hour on one bolt I could only turn it 1/8th of a turn and had to turn the wrench around and do it again. In hindsight I should have removed the Tcases and done it over the top but

I got it in so for me an hour is the longest time.
If you recall when we did mine, we let the back of the cases sag down a little until the back of the engine started to touch the firewall, then we used a 3' long 3/8" drive extension and socket to reach those top bolts.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
If you recall when we did mine, we let the back of the cases sag down a little until the back of the engine started to touch the firewall, then we used a 3' long 3/8" drive extension and socket to reach those top bolts.
That's the key trick, since you won't yet have the cross member mount you can tip the motor to the point before you tear the rubber on the mounts. Watch the firewall and radiator! What is difficult I've found is getting the bolts into the transfer case if you do an R&R of it in place without dropping the drivetrain. Impossible to get a solid torque check with the combination of swivels and u-joints and extensions so I just try to get them uniform to whatever value I can.

BTW, the longest it took me for a single bolt was 3 days. This was one of the lower control arm bolts. It had rusted solid inside the bushing sleeve and no amount of cheater bar + heat + Kryoil was going to free it. Went through 2 Sawzall blades and countless Bandaids cutting that SOB since it took 2 cuts in close quarters to free. This is a grade 10.9 (or is 12.9?), 14mm monster that was laughing at the tool steel in the blades. Naturally I started it on a Saturday afternoon and didn't hit the problem until evening after Burt was closed. So I had to wait until Monday to get the replacement, thus the 3 days...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Now if I recalled that I would not have taken an hour to do this one bolt now would I

You know I was thinking that was the answer but just did not remember. Nearly called you but then forgot that too............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

When Ige and I put the OME in the 80, I was struggling with the drivers front top shock bolt. It is right under the Master cylinder. We tried saws, wrenches, cutting wheel threaded through the brake lines to get close enough. No torches as afraid we might damage the brake system. Finally it snapped free and it was time for a .

The other timesuck is when you have a bolt and you can't see where it goes. Have to use the Jedi Force to get those done.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Now if I recalled that I would not have taken an hour to do this one bolt now would I

You know I was thinking that was the answer but just did not remember. Nearly called you but then forgot that too............
Because of the rear mount - would have angling the stuff down have even been an option w/o removing the back t-case?
TLCA #18941