Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Question On-board electric air compressors

I was planning to install on-board air in my 80, and had most of the big parts purchased, but then switched gears and installed a supercharger.

I used to have a CO2 tank in the back, but since I installed drawers I don't have anywhere to mount it.

So now I am thinking about purchasing one of these new, high output electric compressors.

Brian Wilson has this ExtremeAire compressor, which looks really good.

Viair has so many products that it's impossible to determine which one a person might want to buy, and they don't list any pricing on their website.

Any others to consider? Anyone have experience with any of these?
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt,

I have a Viair portable unit. I'd have to look to see which one I have but I think it is the 440P.

It has been great and will air up my 285s from 18psi to 42psi in about 4 mins per tire. Not stellar fast but fast enough for me.

The only negatives I have are that the included psi gauge is not very accurate when the unit is operating (reads 4-6psi high IIRC) and that the unit gets VERY hot.

I just adjust how high to go (i.e. shoot for like 46psi in the tires to end up at 42psi) when relying on the gauge rather than turning the unit off and on. For the heat, I try to let it cool off before packing it all back up in the bag if possible. If I'm in a hurry I leave it sitting free, away from other items, in the back during the drive home. Sometimes a challenge if you have a bunch of crap in the back.

An important thing to consider is the duty cycle...You don't want the compressor overheating and shutting off 1/2 way through filling up your tires. I bought bigger than needed to avoid that and also so that if others needed to borrow the compressor they could without having to wait for it to cool down.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Perhaps Red Chili will chime in. IRRC, he has the Extreme Air, or something very similar, on his mini. I think he may have two, but I could be wrong.

Something else I've seen done Matt, if you have room for it, is the 4 tire hook ups, such as the one 4crawler has, which makes the air compressor slowness almost a cool thing, as you can sit and BS for a while without having to check and move the compressor constantly. Essentially, hook it up, and walk away. Time it once at home, and just watch your watch (clever ) while talking with buddies, then go shut it down at the appropriate time. Also has the added benefit of getting all 4 tires to the exact same pressure every time.

http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/4air.shtml

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

So that's why my ears were tingling. ...

I have a pair of the Checker cheapies that I love. Two gives me more speed as well as redundancy. They can be gotten at Amazon and Pep Boys IIRC but not for the 25 that I paid.

I have had two failures. One was the internal relay which I did not need anyway. I use external 40A units. The other was a thrown rod (the retainer didn't retain). I have abused them for years and love them.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

York.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have a Quick Air 3. It was given to me a few years back and I think it was several hundred dollars. I has a horrible duty cycle and has crapped out twice on me, last on the BOWR. I really don't have faith in anty thing electric that is considered affordable.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Trail Ready

I have the same Viair 440P that Corsair has and have the same complaint regarding the gauge. Other than that it has worked great and is really easy to bounce between vehicles if needed.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

I took the style that bill has and mated it to a HF twin tank unit, and bolted that to the shelf unit. worked the treat. It was at cm07 right before I sold the 80.

Worked great for tailgate margarita parties, blowing the dust out of the truck, oh and air tools.

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Lifted

Default Mv50

I got the MV50 from Amazon for about $55 shipped. I read a bit about it on MUD and for a cheap compressor folks seemed to like it. I've used it a few times and it inflates my 285's from the teens to 40 psi in about 4 min for each tire. The last outing it did seem to slow a bit on the last tire. So far so good.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Viair needs TLC

I have the viair 400? and cant say the good things the others have. Used 3 times.First very good 2nd intermitantly 3rd nothing. All 3 times were flat repairs on my car so it was not abused or overheated or any thing like that.
Not a very good investment for me! If anyone is interested in trying to repair get ahold of me and you can pick up or I may drop off,I live in Denver and work in Commerce City. If you can get it to work for you you owe me a beer if not you get to dispose of it.